carver preamps?

Carver pre amps have a very warm tubey sound . I have a C 1 in storage along with I believe a c400 amp. The C 1 had all the Bob Carver gimmicks like Sonic Holography, TX 1 Fm, etc.
I can only say that the problem with Carver is the cold solder sucks and cracks causing channels to go out as they age. An easy fix with a soldering gun though. I also think that the Monster M1 inter connect mates with Carver gear furthering the sonic tube footprint. Also the MC cartridge setting is damn good.

Last edited:
Phase Linear sounds very much like Carver, Carver designed their gear before he left on his own.

I have two C11 preamps, one has the BillD mods. Very good preamps. Look at my sig below to get an idea of my audio chain.
As word gets out about these, the prices keep climbing.

BillWojo

Im close to pulling trigger on a C2 I think it is....or should I get something else...I was looking on ebay.

I think I saw a C1 c2 c7 ......

which ones are no good? maybe that will help narrow it down. its for music only...dont need HT gimmicks.

C 1 was their flagship pre amp of this line,I believe the C2 did not have the bells and whistles of the C1. In any event who ever who is selling ask them does every thing work? Basically all inputs and outputs yield sound. If he doesn't know pass. If it is money back purchase.Make sure you do not get stuck for shipping charges back. I would go with C1.

C1 and C11 are almost the same, minor changes internally. The C11 is black with white lettering and the C1 is grey with off white lettering, very difficult for me to make out the lettering. The most used functions are easily remembered though.
I'm a bit of a Carver pig, two C11's and a backup C1. And that's just my preamps.
For anyone doing the BillD mods and changing out the RCA jacks for nicer gold plated ones, I'm the guy that sells the aluminum back panel plates mentioned on the Carver Site. It's a nice upgrade.

BillWojo

I love my C-5 pre-amp. It's been totally recapped and upgraded. Being dual zone is a huge plus for me. Zone 1 feeds my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 power amp (replaced my Phase Linear) that feeds my new Carver designed Amazing Line Source speakers. These speakers are incredible. I've had them for a few months now. They replaced my Carver Amazing Loudspeakers Silver Editions. The C-5 zone 2 feeds my Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp.

I've just received my first C1 and will be starting the BillD mods shortly... I'm looking forward to all this deep space blackness you all talk about....

Big Carver and Sunfire fan here! Check me out :beerchug:

HI Brown, I see you run Infinity speaker in your profile. Just curious what speakers your running. I'm running big infinity speakers and with carver amps and they sound great together. There's not to many of us out there doing that though. Only a few. Sorry I don't know much about the pre amps but wondering how the carver tube pre amp sounds as people want quite a bit for them still. It's the C-19 model.

I'm digging this Carver Sunfire set up. Very impressed. Wow.
Perusing the net I'm finding the tube pre amp with remote to be as rare as hens teeth. Thought I'd put on my hat head on down to the net and find one without issue. Ha! From an aesthetics point of view it would be a perfect match with the Sunfire grand five channel amp.
primary_tubepreamp.gif 742679-sunfire_cinema_grand_200w_5_channel_amplifier_multi_channel_bob_carver.jpg

I'm digging this Carver Sunfire set up. Very impressed. Wow.
Perusing the net I'm finding the tube pre amp with remote to be as rare as hens teeth. Thought I'd put on my hat head on down to the net and find one without issue. Ha! From an aesthetics point of view it would be a perfect match with the Sunfire grand five channel amp.
View attachment 969960 View attachment 969959

Hi rxon nice set up. Big carver fan here also. The sunfire tube pre is high on my list. I heard they sound great. I have only seen a few for sale with the remote. Most do not have it but it surprises me all the rare stuff that shows up on the bay. I have seen carver light star amps and Tfm-75s which are rare on the site. I would like to find a clean one like yours someday.

Hi rxon nice set up. Big carver fan here also. The sunfire tube pre is high on my list. I heard they sound great. I have only seen a few for sale with the remote. Most do not have it but it surprises me all the rare stuff that shows up on the bay. I have seen carver light star amps and Tfm-75s which are rare on the site. I would like to find a clean one like yours someday.
Thanks. Just dumb luck on my part. No electricity on at the house to test it. Nobody at the sale, everyone leaving and being the last day of the sale things were looking bad for electronics. Just got lucky all these things aligned.
That pre just flows with the SGT power amp. I might have to settle for a non remote.
I'll give you a heads up if I see a pair. It's all about timing and if one shows up and I'm not ready hey, why not you? Two pairs of eyes are better than one. Good luck to you in your search too.
*Got a compliment from my daughter today. Hehe. She said "I like those "speakers"(she meant Carver gear). Got a kick out of that. She has good taste! I ran her through on how to operate it now she can play what she wants.

Back
Top Bottom