Carver Receiver 130 as tuner?

digital canuck

I've retired my Carver "The Receiver" 130 model as a receiver as it developed some cutting out of one channel. So I went modern and got the Roksan Caspian integrated amp and CD player. I listen to a few hours per day of FM (CBC Radio 2 - After Hours - Jazz and some other programming) so a tuner is important. I live in the city so have very good reception - even from my basement where my listening room is.

I was using an old Luxman T100 digital tuner with the new rig, but then decided to pull the preamp plugs out of the back of the Carver and use it as a tuner. Is anyone else doing this? How does the tuner section of this receiver compare to other tuners of the era?

Is it worth upgrading to something like an Accuphase T101 as a dedicated tuner, ie: is there a significant improvement in quality.

thanks for any input.

Rick

The MXR130 may offer advantages in the city with the assymetric detector and multipath cancellation. The cutting out could be the speaker relay, switching from A to B would prove that one way or t'other. If not that then the switches on the input board are the next likliest culprits.

Rob

You can also stick those jumpers back in the receiver and just use the "Tape Out" jacks. The signal will be a fixed level and won't be dependant on the receivers volume control knob as it is when you go straight out through the "Pre-Out" jacks.

Thanks for that idea!

Toasted Almond said:
You can also stick those jumpers back in the receiver and just use the "Tape Out" jacks. The signal will be a fixed level and won't be dependant on the receivers volume control knob as it is when you go straight out through the "Pre-Out" jacks.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I was wondering if there was another way to hook it up that the signal was fixed vs the variable.
Rick

That receiver is just acting like a junction box, or switchbox at this point. Every input on the receiver is available for your use, greatly expanding your source horizons if that's something you're interested in doing. It can be especially helpful if the Roksan doesn't offer a "Phono" input and you still want to use a turntable. By the time it gets to the Carver's tape outputs, the low level phono signal has gotten all the RIAA equalization and signal boost it requires to be considered another line-level signal.

Carver 130

I have a Carver130 that I bought new many years ago, it has served me well but...the tuner died so I replaced it with separates. I got a Sonic Frontiers them integrated and love the tubes but that is another thread, with an old Philips 673 tuner. If you enjoy radio a vintage tuner is the only way to go IMHO. The Philips sounds warmer, which I like and it has found stations that the Carver couldn't. The Carver is now in my sons room serving as an amp for his XBox and video system.

Back
Top Bottom