Carver SD/A - 490t came today

Bahamayellow

So my Carver CD player came in the mail. I’ve wanted one of these for awhile now. I saw a clean one in working condition and struck a deal. No remote as usual and can tell a novice took a screw driver to open the door but not too bad a hack job. It’s running and sounding pretty good on the boom box compared to the iPad that was connected to it. This about the only tube cd I can afford. I will integrate this into my system hopefully this weekend. Anyone else rocking this model. Am wondering how this one compares to my MARANTZ CD-5005 which sounds great.

3A2FDAFF-5CD4-488B-A89B-AC56D75D78EA.jpeg 4C7CAC06-84BF-4A53-9A0B-79165ABB3197.jpeg

I have had one of these and honestly was not impressed with the sound quality no matter what tubes were installed. I think that if you were to buy a newer Oppo and a tube buffer you would get much better sound for about what one of these cost. My 2 cents

Regards Snow

So I was curious about the sound and figured let me hook it up real quick. It’s sitting on the album crate as I’m outta room on the rack. I did a couple cable swaps and now really liking the sound. First thing I noticed off the bat were the voices. They were crystal clear but not in your face like my onlkyo. Instruments were softer and more detailed at least on my system. I think this one is a keeper for me. Being the age of these players built in 1991 they have a tendency to fail. I hope it lasts a year or so then I will send it to hi tech audio for a full rebuild. I need to do some more listening but I like what I hear .

I just got one on Ebay. My favorite player before it was an Onkyo DX702. The Onkyo still sounds better on some recordings but I like the Carver better in general. It has better imaging, is a little mellower in a good way, and the bass is smoother-less thumpy. Anyone tube roll this and have some input on tube upgrades or are my going to have a negligible change and better off leaving the OEM tubes?

I just got one on Ebay. My favorite player before it was an Onkyo DX702. The Onkyo still sounds better on some recordings but I like the Carver better in general. It has better imaging, is a little mellower in a good way, and the bass is smoother-less thumpy. Anyone tube roll this and have some input on tube upgrades or are my going to have a negligible change and better off leaving the OEM tubes?

Hello I really enjoy mine. Mine will need some rebuilding soon but still is useable. I thought the tubes were soldered in but not 100% sure. Voices seemed more focused on the Carver were as my marantz 5005 sounds Like it has more room filling sound hard to describe. I find myself trying cds on the Carver first though.

I had one of these also and was not impressed. I bought it new. As usual with Carver its all big fancy words and a lot of snake oil.

Back
Top Bottom