Carver Sunfire theater grand any good?

gentlejax

I know where one is and I have liked them for a while. this is a #2 I beleive. are these any good or are they problematic? I have seen mixed revues

I would be using it mainly for music in stereo

I used to have the Carver SunfireSunfire.jpg Which is pictured here (pic borrowed from the web) and used it to run a pair of Martin Logan Sequel IIs. It is the only amp that I have ever owned, or could afford to own that would grab those MLs and wring their necks! Power and headroom was just simply off the hook and I believe these amps have the ability to drive anything thrown at them. I bi-wired using the Sunfire's current output to the stats and the voltage outputs to the ML's woofers.
Keep in mind that this is a larger than usual amplifier - IIRC it is at least 19" wide and almost as deep.
If you are lusting after one, get it! I think you'll be very pleased.

Im afraid I am referring to the preamp processor . Sunfire theater grand processor II ......

I dont think I can afford one of the nice amps ..I have seen those too

Sorry, I did a quick google search before responding and saw the "Cinema Grand" and it looked very much like the one I pictured above and made me think it may have been the #2 you referenced in your OP. My bad:).

Im afraid I am referring to the preamp processor . Sunfire theater grand processor II ......

I dont think I can afford one of the nice amps ..I have seen those too

Just be aware of the limitations. In the world of pre/pros, that's a pretty old unit for HT duties. If your focus is music, I would suggest a stereo preamp; the video sections can add noise. Best to not have any video capabilities if your primary focus is music.

Just be aware of the limitations. In the world of pre/pros, that's a pretty old unit for HT duties. If your focus is music, I would suggest a stereo preamp; the video sections can add noise. Best to not have any video capabilities if your primary focus is music.

I dont do HT and the stereo is actually just fine for now.

I would not agree that just because it has video capabilities it is going to be noisy. It is very versatile, has a good phono section, and quiet background. I am on my second one, and should have never sold the first one.

I would not agree that just because it has video capabilities it is going to be noisy. It is very versatile, has a good phono section, and quiet background. I am on my second one, and should have never sold the first one.

Many years ago I started out with a Marantz pre/pro (not a cheap one either) just as a preamp for a 2-ch only setup. Upgrading to a stereo only 2-ch preamp was a great move.

Many years ago I started out with a Marantz pre/pro (not a cheap one either) just as a preamp for a 2-ch only setup. Upgrading to a stereo only 2-ch preamp was a great move.

I had some vintage pioneer and sansui along the way. they sounded great. this sunfire is not that bad either. its not my first preamp....just my first carver ..

Funny this thread should pop up. Recently bought the five channel amp and processor which is currently hooked up to a pair of Wharfedales Denton's in our bedroom. Wife really like this combo.
Have not had time to do serious listening but in couple sessions I found the music sweet with excellent detail while just a tad shy on bass. Not sure if it's the amp or processor. Also I noticed on stereo mode this combo is "faster" than my Marantz or Sony in that it has little "hang time" with echos or reverberation of instruments. For example on one tune I've listened to ad nauseum there is the echo of a person walking on a marble floor down a empty hall. On the Sony 7055 one can clearly "see" the walk in terms of depth of her walking casually towards the vanishing point in the music . With the Carver it's all business and there is little echo, a tad closed in and within ten steps she is at the door.
It gives a very detailed music stage separating the musicians, good depth while not the best in terms of being holographic. But like the Marantz 2500 it sounds clean & clear without being clinical and non fatiguing.
Ironically it has a holographic button which does some sort of right speaker left speaker trickery. Not sure on the details.
Overall an outstanding unit for for two channel. I have it bi-amped to test but just haven't had the time. Curious to see if I can hear the difference. Same song, same seating. IMG_20170629_130450.jpg
Buy it you'll like it.
Have a listen on Klipsch Bell's.
https://goo.gl/photos/hd5u2d8GHzLpmDgU6

Last edited:
nice!...ive not heard a carver amp yet....but id like too. but I have a B&K 442 and with its massive coke size caps I find it hard to imagine a carver having the same brute power.

Now that I've had more time to listen to this duo I agree that it's two channels duties are EXCELLENT. Noise? None that I can detect.
I'm not one to sit here and tell you I'm hearing details that I never heard before. I am hearing the details differently in a good way.
A rain stick that was used in a jazz tune sounded like sand pebbles going down the barrel on the Sony STR 7055/45 while on the Yamaha rx-777 receiver was washed out from being to fast. More like "shhhh" sound. On the Sunfire it has more of a glass bead texture going down the barrell while distinctly hearing the individual beads. Amazing.
Now that I have dialed in the bass it's delivery has better punch, definitely more solid and seems quicker as a result. No bloat to it. Music is presented with a medium firm grasp without being to hard nosed or clinical.
I'd place this somewhere between a Denon receiver and Yamaha. Laid back but detailed. I've sat down uninterrupted for couple hours listening to SFG II combo this last weekend. Looking forward to more!

Last edited:
nice!...ive not heard a carver amp yet....but id like too. but I have a B&K 442 and with its massive coke size caps I find it hard to imagine a carver having the same brute power.
You have a fine amp.
It can and does depending on which Carver you get Now if you were to move to the signed Bob Carver series that has 400 watts per channel then it would be a move up. To go up from there you'd have to get a ML or Krell based on reviewers more experienced than me. In the end, I don't think you'll get "more" musicality as much as it'll be presented in a unique way. After all not matter what amp or receiver I hear the same instruments just given a different flavor. Just a matter of preference.

Back
Top Bottom