Carver "The Receiver" question?

The owner dropped it to $125.00 and I jumped all over it. I am running it into my B&W DM602.s2 with my Toshiba as the source and all I can say is::rockon:

Thanks for the manual Merrylander!

Hey, I used some 3M double-sided tape to re-stick the tuner face of my Carver 130 Receiver when the original tape gave up after 20 years -- does that make me an audiophool?

My first experience with anything Carver was when my college roommate bought a Carver Cube back in around 1982. He paired it with a Carver C-1 preamp and some EPI speakers. That system totally rocked and was rock solid. It sounded great. Absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. So I am still a Carver fan to this day because I have seen first hand what Bob Carver's stuff could do. I own a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator and it still works great after nearly thirty years. I don't have any personal experience with "The Receiver" however.

I always wanted Carver gear, finally got a "The Receiver" in 2000. It seemed great for awhile, then it had a channel outage. Off to my tech guy (who was great with vintage gear) to get it going again. In the meantime I picked up a Kenwood KA-9100 to temporarily use in my system and it sounded good. Put the Carver back into the system and it didn't seem to have what the 9100 was giving me. Changed back to the 9100 and it wasn't even close, the 9100 blew "The Receiver" away, not even close. My wife even remarked that the 9100 sounded a lot better. "The Receiver" now sits on a shelf.

I have had a Carver "The Receiver" since 1984 when I bought it new from a sell-off from a defunct stereo shop in Dallas. I pair it with Norman Lab 10a tower speakers. I have been completely satisfied with it although it has been through two rebuilds--one at a very pricie shop in Everett Washington and second by my local guru. I cannot tell that the Everett guys did any better job, but it still goes and smokes and has headroom

I have always lusted after a Mac, but the 4100s are sparse and seem to have lesser specs. Has anyone done a nose to nose on this?

Thanks for the info the site has just what I need. Does your system work at all?

Yes, it did work pretty well I think but I put it away so long ago I can't remember exactly why I did. I know that I bought the parts to replace the common problem spots, such as the output relays, power transistors, the tuning IC and the trim pot for the tuner board. I think my tuner was flakey but the other stuff I thought I would do at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom