1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Carver 'The Receiver'tuner woes

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by moebuster, Dec 7, 2016.

1. moebuster

moebuster AK Subscriber Subscriber

The previous owner stated that one channel is in and out but from my short term ownership
    it's both channels- signal goes to white noise/static abruptly and the station number freezes with no
    response to the up/down button,switching from am to fm-nothing affects it once it's out.

this morning it was in and out now it's been working fine for the last hour or two!

I removed the cage and fiddled with any and all the connectors as though I thought that would do
    anything to help.
    other than what amounts to my "whacking it on the side" does anyone have any ideas?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EddyR

EddyR Well-Known Member

3. moebuster

4. comish4

comish4 comish4

There is a trimmer cap that goes bad that is on the front board with the display easy to change but you have to take all the front boards out. also check for bad solder connections. Sounds like you want to change the speaker relay too, it will say you some work in the long run. Great receiver with these fixes fantastic FM

5. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

The tuner is indeed a "known issue" on Carver The Receiver--for further information (in addition that already provided), you can pop over to The Carver Site for advice.

6. EddyR

EddyR Well-Known Member

There is a easy quick fix for the tuner problems,sometimes. Many times the trimmer is the problem. The trimmer is very easy to see with the top removed. Spray some cleaner on it and move it back and forth. Note it position before turning it. Adjustment is pick a station neat 98 mhz and adjust till it locks. There is more but that will get you very close. NOTE use nonmetallic tool to adjust it. Getting rid of the four resistors on the top board also helps. There is a rebuild update for this.

hjames likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. moebuster

This was my first "real" repair on a receiver /electronic piece.
    with the very good instructions provided it was quiet easy and straightforward.

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  8. Waldo357

Waldo357 New Member

I have Carver 2000 receiver and when I turn it on fuse on the back blows. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

9. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

Since this is a receiver the most likely short that would blow the main fuse would be in the amplifier. You will probably not get your help here in the tuner forum which is for the radio portion of your receiver. You should start a new thread in the solid state forum.

Waldo357 likes this.