Carver TX-11 No Sound

j_loop

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I never know if these should go in DIY or not, but I'll start here.

I haven't used it in months, but it worked fine. Now no sound.

Symptoms:
I can get full signal bars and "locked" will light up.
"Stereo" never lights up. I cannot confirm or deny if the light is good, but every other led is fine in the unit.
I have ruled out pre-amp and amp as problem.
Zero sound. No in-between crackle or anything.
Took the top off and fuse is fine and no obvious capacitor problems.

No "mute" button as far as I can see.

Any tips on troubleshooting. I do not know tuner repair, but I can work a soldering iron.

Thanks!

Check all the power supply voltages.
Does AM work?
Reread the Owners manual? I was looking at the multipath operation. I never had one but it could mute the audio.
The 11A scat is on HiFi Engine.

carver tx-11.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try to get to the voltages today.
Tuner is FM only

TX-11, no suffix

First, I'm bad at reading schematics, so thanks for help and patience.

Board for mine seems pretty different from the 11a's schematic. For instance there appears to only be 1 IC in the power supply for mine. IC 301 is pictured in my attachment, but no 302 or 303 that I can find.

There are two TP's pictured, 301 and 302. Would these be for the PS? Didn't know if I should looking for pins or legs of a transistor etc...

Attachments

• P1180841.jpg
    P1180841.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 14
Hard to offer advise, I did look at the tx-11a schematic there is a lot going on in this design. basically need to determine if you have audio at the detector o/p. is it a Sanyo LA1235 like the "a" model? if so audio is out on pin 6, pin 7 is the AFC and pin 10 is the reference bias pin. refer to the la1235 data sheet if that is the part for pin voltages, if not take a pic of the insides and get the IC part numbers.

Without a schematic it's a bit hard to figure out where the problem is. If I had to guess it's a bad cap. Carver used a crazy amount in this vintage of equipment.

Is the display working normally?

Back
Top Bottom