Carver TX-11B ?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by PabloTincho, Apr 18, 2018.

1. PabloTincho

PabloTincho Member

Does anyone have a Carver TX-11b ? is it a good tuner ? what do you guys think ?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. typesix

typesix Active Member

I have the TX-11a(the difference is in the AM section freq. response) because I cannot use an outdoor antenna, plus multipath distortion is a problem in my area. It is excellent for reducing or eliminating multipath distortion in conjunction with a directional antenna. I used to listen to it a lot more, but FM stations I listen to have downgraded the sound quality and therefore I listen to FM more on portables nowadays. The lower quality of many of the FM stations makes it more tiring to listen to them thru the Carver. The AM section has an excellent frequency response and can reveal which stations put out a quality signal. If you can get it for low price, it's good, it was Carver's top tuner.

3. SDA SRS 1.2

SDA SRS 1.2 Well-Known Member

Love my 11b! Excellent sensitivity able to really pull in distant stations in Narrow bandwidth mode and excellent soundstage on stronger stations using the Wide bandwidth mode. Don’t know if anyone broadcasts in AM Stereo anymore, but it’s also capable of that. When I bought mine new in the 90’s the clear channel AM’S sounded great!

4. wjcjr

wjcjr Active Member

Have a TX-11B and a PSB-11 which is same tuner I think was marketed for business or radio station monitor use. This is an excellent tuner. Of particular note, these have the best noise reduction I've heard on any tuner, being able to significantly reduce noise on less than stellar stereo stations while retaining good separation. Second, and this usually doesn't get mentioned, but the AM is the truly wide band with best AM sound I've run across on any digital tuner.

5. PabloTincho

PabloTincho Member

Did you do any modifications on the tuner ? is the carver a super tuner ?

6. wjcjr

wjcjr Active Member

This particular tuner of mine has no modifications. I have modded many of my tuners but this one was in such good shape functionally (and cosmetically) that I saw no need to mod. As to whether I would call it a super tuner,probably not. It's not quite in same category as Sansui TU-X1/TU-919/9900, the better Day-Sequerra's, Kenwood L-02 etc.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. vwestlife

vwestlife Well-Known Member

8. bill114

bill114 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had an 11a for a while. It pulled in stations like crazy and the noise reduction worked really well but it sounded dull and uninspiring.