Casablanca on Laserdisc

LD was an unusual format. It catered mostly to home theater geeks who spent some big bucks on audio/video gear.

The packaging on some issues was just over the top :thmbsp:

DANCES WITH WOLVES Limited Collector's Edition Laserdisc LD Widescreen Expanded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANCES-WITH-WOLVES-Limited-Collectors-Edition-Laserdisc-LD-Widescreen-Expanded-/252102445643?hash=item3ab27a0a4b

There is really good database of LD's that were issued (lddb.com)... most people would be shocked at how many movies were released in the format.

There is also still a company that repairs and sells refurbished LD players ...
Bayview Electronics (laserdiscservice.com)

00949.jpg

I own the Critrion Casablanca: Special Edition #73 (1942)

Very nice LD ...

Have not played LDs in a while ... I'll have give one a spin this weekend.

I think I own about 150 LDs.

As do I, own it, love it, will never part with it.

They're around, but the problem is finding decent ones (just about the last three or four years of production). Also, they're finicky, need more adjustment than most anything else...and don't ship well. I had another AKer beg me to sell him one of my two players, but he's at the other end of the country and I doubt it would be intact after shipping.

Models to look for: CLD-D703, CLD-D704, CLD-59, CLD-79, CLD-97, CLD-99. Anything older won't give you the best picture; Anything higher up still brings ridiculous prices.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

I find the CLD-3080 and the CLD-95 to be the best of the solid reliable Pioneer LD players that don't cost a fortune (like some of the dedicated single side Japanese versions etc.)..

I will never part with my 3080, it gives me everything I could ask for in a LD player and makes an insanely good CD transport to boot, the CLD-95 being slightly better in this regard as a transport, but doesn't have the better noise reduction features of the 3080 I find useful. The key is having a tech who knows what goes wrong with these things and knows how to ship. Having someone local would be best,. Not all that user friendly as compared to say DVD players, but not that bad at all once you get the deck functioning to spec and know how to handle/play the discs.

Marantz Fan said:
LD was the only way I got a good copy of Song of the South. Even then I had to import it from Japan.

Ya I got a UK copy of that movie.... PAL recorded to an NTSC tape..... Absolute gold!! -- What a beautiful movie!

Im into videodiscs myself also.... I have seen casablanca on CED but I dont have a player.... I keep thinking I may see one @ salvation army but I dont think anyone would give a GOOD one away....

I have Casablanca now on VHS (1981 release)

Back
Top Bottom