1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Cassette manufacture restarting...

Discussion in 'Tape' started by KiM3Ce, Nov 3, 2017.

1. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

https://www.wsj.com/articles/casset...x_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=video&cx_artPos=1

If you are not a WSJ subscriber I hope they will unlock it soon.

"Steve Stepp and his team of septuagenarian engineers are using a bag of rust, a kitchen mixer larger than a man and a 62-foot-long contraption that used to make magnetic strips for credit cards to avert a disaster that no one saw coming in the digital-music era."

stoutblock, illini and dontmindme like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Making cassettes cool again- I love it.

I wonder if Hanpin will start making quality cassette decks to compliment their equally quality turntables and cash in on the 'cassette revival'?

3. JediDude

JediDude Active Member

Quality cassette decks, you say? I just looked, and a major retailer in NYC has Tascam and Marantz cassette decks listed on their website....
    But I guess hipsters wouldn't be inclined to look for a real cassette deck.... ;-})>

Come to think of it, I could probably put some high-bias (along the lines of TDK SA-x or Maxell XL-IIs) cassettes to use....

dontmindme likes this.
  4. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

140F9B64-AB66-40CD-9698-A7F7F98FC318.jpeg

Just finished cleaning up this old gem from 1981 ish. New belts too, gonna put it in my 1981 CJ7...... have a few cassettes left but may need more! We’re not dead yet! It works like a dream.

safebet, ilusndweller, cgutz and 2 others like this.
  5. restorer-john

Auto-eject on that baby. Awesome. :)

6. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

Yeah baby! KP-5500 supertuner. Had one back in the day. Took me awhile to find one that was worth the effort.

7. restorer-john

Before CDs in cars, I used to make mixtapes specially eq'd for the car- they sounded incredible and to this day, nothing in my cars has evoked the same musical emotional involvement as a good cassette deck playing your own compilations, carefully made.

I love that Pioneer!

I have a TOTL Realistic full logic dolby B/C deck AM/FM with the same two shaft plate mount someplace. All I need is a classic car to put it in!

smurfer77 and dontmindme like this.
  8. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  9. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

Here’s what it’s going in...original 1981 CJ7 Renegade. Can’t wait, got another few days before the speakers and belts show up.

DBE53FA6-A052-4E6E-BD43-5FC94E55CB4C.jpeg

10. restorer-john

That is awesome! The colours are actually late 70s style- brown/orange/yellow/gold. Love it!

dontmindme likes this.
  11. phantomrebel

phantomrebel Serial Tapist Subscriber

You sure the bumper and seats are original? Jeep fan here, and love the cassette deck.

dontmindme likes this.

12. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

True, yes. I just put a new front bumper on and rear with a spare tire carrier (retained originals). As for the seats, they’re actually period replacements from the 80’s. Kind of rare too, from what I gather! Like the old CJ’s myself. Actually bought my first one off the showroom in 1984. Nice to know there are Jeep lovers mixed in with old stereo folks!

Sorry to the OP. Didn’t mean to highjack the thread!

13. restorer-john

Do you have a really good immobilizer on that Jeep? Cars like that would be pretty attractive to thieves I would think.

14. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

I don’t, but it’s not an every day driver. Sits in my garage until it goes out, then I’m never far from it..

15. vwestlife

vwestlife Well-Known Member

But I'm sure they all use the same Chinese mechanism inside, and none have Dolby NR, because nobody makes Dolby encoding/decoding chips anymore.

Also the WSJ article's title is misleading. National Audio Company never stopped making cassettes, therefore they never had to restart production. The only thing "restarting" is the mainstream media's attention to it.

16. SuperLead100

SuperLead100 "These go to 11"

We still sell maxell cassettes at CVS...your basic low noise variety.

17. cgutz

cgutz AK Member

Had me a KP500 underdash supertuner/cassette in my 1962 Impala during college. Jensen 6x9 coaxials to go with it.

Fond memories.

Another analogue "comeback" which proves digital doesn't have any 'soul.'

dontmindme likes this.
  18. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

I had a KP500 too! Really nice unit, very powerful, produced wonderful bass. They're very sought after, take a look at the bay....$$$

19. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

Now all we need are audiophile pencils to rewind the tapes after they get caught in the deck rollers. :D

Ds2000 and Ronald1973 like this.
  20. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

safebet and Ds2000 like this.