Cassette Test Tapes (CD-330 Cont.)

graywolf

Sonically Challenged
WOW! Do you need all these?

The following is a list of the tapes Superscope's Service Manual says you need to service the CD-330, probably would cost a couple of hundred bucks, if thay are even still available. I would guess this thread will also interest anyone who wants to align a cassette deck:

Blank Tape
Normal Bias*
High Bias
Fe-Cr (No longer available, I think)

Test Tapes
MTT-111 Wow & Fluttter, Tape Speed
MTT-112 Output Level, Signal to Noise Ratio
MTT-115C Playback Equalization, Azimuth
MTT-116U Frequency Response (Normal)
MTT-116K Frequency Response (Chrome)
MTT-121 Cross Talk
MTT-141 Channel Separation
MTT-150 Adjust Output Level

Related question, Studio Sound Electronics lists a normal bias alignment cassette, and I found another company on the web who is listing what seems to be the same tape on a high bias cassette. Both are $20 or so. Will those do to align and service most cassette decks? Would they have just the azimuth alignment signals, or would they likely have most of the above stuff on them?

I must say I am beginning to think I have bought more of a project than I anticipated. However, I have always wanted one of these since the days when my then new, and now long gone, wife put her foot down about me buying one back when they were new. They are kind of neat, bigger and heavier than the later Marantz and Sony models, but they do have the powersupply and the battery charger built in, and I would think that they are a bit more rugged as well. Of course the recorder is only the first step on a long slippery slope. Then you need a pair of mics, and cables to connect them, then a bunch of cassettes, then the parts and tools to fix it up, then.....

Anyways, I will appreciate all the help you folks can provide.

As painstaking as it might be, aligning a cartridge on a turntable sounds downright easy compared to aligning tape heads!! :D

Back
Top Bottom