Cats and my soldering station

I wonder if the insulation has any soy or peanut oil in it. This has been a big problem on peoples cars for rodents eating the wiring harnesses. I found out when I worked for Hyundia the wire insulation has a peanut oil derivative in the insulation and we had a lot of cars come in with rodent damage from eating the wires.
That's what I was thinking. Or the fact that the silicone is soft.

My wife and I have had 6 cats since we married and only one ever attached wires but only if the insulation was clear.

Our cats never chewed on wires. It wasn't until we found a rabbit that wire chewing became an issue. She has bitten through her weight in wires. Like OMGcat! says, she never chews on energized AC wires. Mostly my girlfriend's mouse cable or various speaker wires.

My beautiful little Birman only died 2 weeks ago. She was 15 years old and had a great life. I miss her a lot. This is her recently.

View attachment 1167264

As a young kitten, she feasted on my Hakko soldering cord as it hung off the edge of my bench. It was the soft silicone she liked- nice and chewy. Replacement silicone cables were $50 each from Japan- I think I did three before I gave up. The last time I replaced the cable, I gave her the old one but about 10 minutes later, she had attacked the new one leaving it like this:

View attachment 1167273
View attachment 1167274

I even gave her an old soldering iron lead, but she only liked 'mine'. I figured it was a small price to pay for having such a glorious animal in my life for 15 years.

Someplace I have the pic I took 14 years ago when she ate the first Hakko lead. I'll dig it out.
Oh man, it's hard when they die. Tears me up bad. I'm sorry for your loss.

Could be. I wasn't really a cat person until a few years ago. Sorry to hear you lost yours. I lost a crazy fun Manx a couple years ago. She had better balance than any cat I ever saw even without a tail.
Homeless got her name because a homeless guy shoved her as a very young kitten into the open window of our car. "Hey lady you want a kitten I found?" Of course my wife took it. The kitten had to be bottle feed. She was was too young to be away from the mother.

She grew into a lovely lady, great job!

Back
Top Bottom