CD Audio - Sudden crackles on left channel.

Chris Rist

Do excuse my lack of experience,
I just fixed up an old CD player (Technics Sl-P101) thats been sitting in my parents house unused. Fixes were a new belt and some lubrication. Played a few disks and I'm fairly happy with the sound. However briefly (And I only mean briefly) the audio on the left channel begins to crackle and distort very abruptly, it doesn't cut off completely but get scratchy (like the noise of a phone cartridge making tracking errors). The crackling doesn't last long, about a few seconds at a time. And it sometimes doesn't do it all. Which is rather odd for me. I was wondering if someone would might have a clue on whether this issue is with the lenses (and weather it needs cleaning) or if it's much more in depth. I do not have any optical output to test whether it's a digital or analog issue

Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Are you sure it’s the CD player and not your amp?
Have you tried listening with headphones straight in to the CD player?

Are you sure it’s the CD player and not your amp?
Have you tried listening with headphones straight in to the CD player?
Thanks for the Reply.
I have tried it on 2 different amps. One of which I knew was in perfect working order. I do not have a a direct input for headphones to the player. But the other amps have confirmed that the problem is my cd player. Like said the issue is on and off. Sometimes it's never happens, other times it cracks for a second. Other time it can happen for a few seconds. Noticing lately the crackling is slowly becoming more rare but I'm not too sure.

1989 model, 30 years old, could have some bad capacitors. I dont fix cd players, but the problems I have had in the past with the laser lens would be that it either would read the disc, or not, so no noise/ distortion associated.

1989 model, 30 years old, could have some bad capacitors. I dont fix cd players, but the problems I have had in the past with the laser lens would be that it either would read the disc, or not, so no noise/ distortion associated.
It's funny. Because the audio sounds full and what it's intended to sound like, no noise, or static either. Just occasionally some crackling. I will give the cables one last try and double check my inputs.

I also must add that on one particular disk. The player would play the tracks all through just fine. But if you skip to any tracks beyond track seven. The player would refuse to read. The laser would move back and forth trying to find "something" but to no avail. It could mostly likely be just this CD since it was burnt from my computer.

Check the solder joints on the rca jacks. NEVER use alcohol on the laser lens, it can cloud some plastics. Use distilled water or Kodak lens cleaner.

since it's almost due for its second - re-cap.

download the service manual, go to parts list, ID the caps, order economic lots by combining like values
(example, 4 10uf/6v, 2 10uf/10v, 1 10uf/16v - buy 10 uf/16v or 10 uf/25v)

then
1. reflow all solder joints
2. clean off the rails
3. inspect/clean the micros switches at th rail ends,
4. mark all caps on PCB with indicators as to polarity,
5. for each cap, unsolder cap, measure cap, find new replacement, measure new, solder in.

good luck and when you are finished, enjoy the music.

I checked the laser and used light compressed air to blow off any dust that might accumulate, I did not use any liquids. However the output Jack's on the back were dirty and oxidized so I addressed them and got some brand new cables and changed my inputs on last time. Seemed to have done the trick so far!

Some rubbing alcohols also contain castor oil. You don't want to use something that will leave a residue.

I have not found isopropyl alcohol to cause clouding in any plastics. Acetone is a different matter; it will craze/cloud some plastics.
Years ago I used isopropyl alcohol to clean a turntable dust cover and it clouded the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom