Cd burner advice?

piece-it pete

What, me worry?
Howdy everyone!

I got permission to buy a cd burner :banana: !

From experience, I'd better do it fast! Heck, I want it NOW anyway :) .

Any recs? Anything to stay away from?

I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Used is fine.

Thanks!

Ready to record vinyl Pete

Look for MSI brand. I got mine for $50 or $60 cdn and it came with a Nero program. Your going to need that for burning. Externals will cost a lot more, but might be more practical depending on your computer situation.
If you have the space in your computer box. You should be able to just plug an internal in, If not just unplug the old one, put the new one in and yur all set. The old one can be used as the source drive cutting your burn times down. Once installed you need to go to cd-rom preferences and click on the appropriate options.
Good Luck.

Eeep I meant a stand-alone for my system vs a 'puter based one.

I searched here for cd burner and cd recorder, got zip.

Thanks!

Pete

Hey, Pete!
A CD burner for your computer would be much cheaper! I have 2 Sonys and I like them alot. Trouble free and fairly cheap.
If you have to have a stand alone unit, my friend bought a Fostex that he likes very much.

As far as computer cd burners go, i picked up a lite-on sohw-1633s dual layer dvd burner with power dvd 5 and nero 6 from newegg.com for $76 shipped. Writes CD's at 48X, dvds at 16X. Great for the price.

Im still pondering the purchase of a stand alone cd burner.....

my 0.00002
-jamie

hey Pete i had one hooked up to my system . Philips one tray.. The thing was with this it did not use just any blank cds. They had to be digital audio cds. there slod in the cd isle in the cd srore not the computer cdr isle .. And with the single draw cd recorder. i had to connect it to a digital cd player that had a digital out put. i go with one witch record cd to cd in one shot(2 draws).. the one i had if the cd i wanted to record was 60 min it took 60 min. the best is for the pc . i just got the DVD brunner , i am just starting to figure it out . chris

jamesgf said:
As far as computer cd burners go, i picked up a lite-on sohw-1633s dual layer dvd burner with power dvd 5 and nero 6 from newegg.com for $76 shipped. Writes CD's at 48X, dvds at 16X. Great for the price.

Im still pondering the purchase of a stand alone cd burner.....

my 0.00002
-jamie

I second looking into DVD burners, . probably worth the few extra $$ at this point in time. Dual Layer is something you will want if you intend to archive movies, ..otherwise a single layer burner may suffice

to further confuse you and shed some darkness on choices (esp. amongst the newer burner), .. http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041102/index.html

good luck
my rule of thumb (buy something close to the fastest speed, but not the fastest speed, .. to avoid paying extra for the newest product)

Just bought a Disc-clone II by E3Works burner from a friend. Man, this thing can rip cds. On the fly in less than 5 minutes. Haven't had a dud yet even with crap cd-rs I have to use up.
Fairly pricey new, but if you can find one used snap it up. You won't be sorry. :thmbsp:

I have a yamaha d651 dual-deck that I got a couple of years ago. (I was advised by the very knowledgeable young woman at Circuit City that the computer I had at the time just wouldn't handle a burner.)

Very pleased with it. It was on close-out when I bought it but I see it occasionally on ebay.

I'd also go with a combo dual tray DVD CD burner for your computer... The best advantage is you'll have more control over your recordings.. Even if your albums are basically click and pop free you'll still want to get those very few out of your recordings..

Today I burned a CD-R from an 8 track tape, Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Do It Yourself, and cut the garbage out between tracks.. I was very impressed with the sound quality... Oh.. What a great tape...

Later, Brent

Hey Pete, this was posted at www.webtechgeek.com:

The Top Two Burners: The top two favorite CD-RW burners are the:

New - Plextor PlexWriter™ 40/12/40A IDE, price about $200 USD - with Burn-Proof.
New - TDK VeloCD CDRW 24/10/40 IDE, Price about $200. with Burn-Proof. About 4 minutes to burn a CDR.

Both TDK and Plextor hold the top spot for CDR Burners! Both are vary reliable and have a good CDR burning software package included. You should watch for sales to help you make your choice. Remember to come back to WebTechGeek.com for more How~2s.

Plextor PlexWriter 40/12/40A: PLEXTOR ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF PLEXWRITER 40/12/40A CD-RW OPTICAL DISK DRIVE: Plextor Corp., a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance CD-related equipment and software, announced the immediate release of the PlexWriter 40/12/40A CD-RW optical disk drive. See review here!

New TDK VeloCD ReWriter 24X/10X/40X: Price about $290. With 40X ripping and 24X writing, the new veloCD burner is so fast it may be the only drive you need. For CD-to-CD-R recording, it's a one-drive alternative that's better sounding and takes less than half the time of most two-drive setups. TDK smashes the speed barrier with its new 24/10/40 veloCD ReWriter. The VeloCD ReWirter burn's a full CD in 4 minutes with 24X writing and rip a 3-minute audio track in 5 seconds with 40X digital audio extraction. More info below!

New DVD to VCD/SVCD, DVD copy software: DUP-DVD is a powerful tool to backup DVD movies to VCD/SVCD with just one click on your PC! - Copy DVD movies to CD-R discs, convert DVD to VCD/SVCD, with DUP-DVD it couldn't be easier! Download a trial copy of DUP-DVD now!

New! Double Density CD Format: Sony Establishes Double Density CD-ROM/-R/-RW Formats; Conventional CD technologies utilized to realize 1.3GB capacity. Sony Corporation announced plans to develop a "Double Density CD-ROM/-R/-RW (tentative name)" with 1.3GB data capacity. The Double Density CD formats are designed to provide a natural migration path for both consumers and manufacturers alike, as the new formats offer a low-cost solution to high capacity discs that inherit the basic specifications of the CD formats.

This allows manufacturers to utilize their current CD technologies and production facilities to manufacture Double Density CDs. Double Density CD formats' high capacity is realized by a few simple modifications to the CD formats. To increase data density, track-pitch and minimum pit length are miniaturized to increase the data capacity from 650MB to 1.3GB.

New Sanyo CRD-BP1500P 24X20X16 CDR-W: We all knew Sanyo as the leader in the CD recording area, since it shipped first, the fastest CDR-W drives in the planet. Back in 2000 that was about to change. Yamaha released the first 16x (even partial CAV) recorder and Sanyo's (real) 16x CLV recorder followed after several months. Burning 650mb at 3:51mins is something you have to see with your own eyes to believe. More information below.

New LightSpeed CRW2200 20X10X40X Rewritable CD Recorders, YAMAHA'S NEW LIGHTSPEED FAMILY OF CD-RWS RECORDERS DELIVERS 20X WRITE/10X REWRITE/40X READ/40X AUDIO RIPPING: More information below.

Ricoh MP9120A CD-R/RW and DVD-ROM drive(ATAPI Interface) : Ricoh has a new CD~RW DVD ROM Price $250. Four in one drive, MP9120A 12X/10X/32X/8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM. Pros: A good drive if you don't have room for a DVD ROM and a CD~RW ROM. Cons: No Burn-Proof! More info below!

Yamaha CRW2100EZ $ 270 IDE, internal, 16X/10X/40X, 8MB buffer, CD-mastering and packet-writing software. If you're looking for the fastest CD-R write, this drive is for you. But, if your looking for a good all around performer, look elsewhere. Cons: No Burn-Proof!

BURN-Proof, NO MORE CD COASTERS: It's the biggest breakthrough in CD burners ever. The New Plextor PlexWriter, and the TDK VeloCD CDRW Drive, lets you burn while running multiple applications. With BURN-Proof write assurance technology, buffer underrun errors are eliminated. You're free to burn CDs while you surf the web, download music, print a document. With BURN-Proof, you're assured of perfect CDs every time....no failed sessions....no CD coasters. By WebTechGeek.com! Related Old CDs and DVDs and more How~2s!

Been using a Plextor Plexwriter 40/12/40A for over a year and not had a coaster yet, can do a perfect copy of a music CD in less than 2 minutes when I use my DVD ROM as the reader.

Hey, thanks everyone!

I'm going with a computer based one.

One great member here offered me a very good deal, I can't refuse!!

How hard is it to hook up your computer to your stereo?

Pete

piece-it pete said:
How hard is it to hook up your computer to your stereo?

Pete

Very straightforward... if you can find it, the easiest solution is a Rat Shack stereo mini-headphone pin adapter to two RCA phono jacks. That was out of stock, so I bought a mini-headphone male to standard headphone jack female adapter, and bought a stereo headphone to 2 - RCA females. Then I just plug the miniheadphone into the headphone/audio out on the computer, connect a standard stereo patchcord to the adapter, and plug the patchcord into one of my Aux inputs on the stereo receiver.

asynchronousman said:
The cheapest way to burn CDs is probably charcoal lighter fluid, but it's tricky getting it in some states. :naughty:

HEY ! I finally understood one of your posts ? You must have remembered your meds today didn't ya ? :)

Back
Top Bottom