CD draw opens then closes

Cadmandu

Hi I have a Sony CDP-397 that has the above problem.
Would this be a dirty switch?
Any knowledge on how to remove and deoxit the switch?
What can you use to clean the laser lens with?
Thanks

its the limit switch that gets dusty and dirty. the youtube video I saw one one is right, but also wrong. remove the cd module itself and get it open (often a plastic lock is in the way that only moves once the head/drive mechanism drops) and trace the wires to the switch, deoxit and voila!

so many went on the scrap heap because of this...

Thanks I just bought this on eBay for 31.00 and I really like it. I can cue up guitar and bass teaching CDs because of the minutes and seconds monitor. How can I clean he laser what type of cleaner

you would almost have to spray paint it to affect the laser pickup, it works at such a short wavelength, random dust aint an issue, if you think it is, a q-tip with 90-some percent iso should do it. just dont go pushing on it, the positioning motors aint what they used to be - cheaper than crap

I just loaned a friend a Denon cd player with that same issue.
Press open and the drawer slides out then sucks back in immediately. Sometimes more than once.
Sooner or later it will stop in the open position so a cd can be placed in the tray.
I told him it works fine other than that glitch.
If for some reason I get it back I'll at least know what may be the cause and cure now.

I once fixed that issue on some CD player or other by gluing a little padding where the stop hits when the drawer opened. But that trick didn't work later on another CD player....

This seems to be a very helpful post to me and many others. The switch is a paddle switch and it is under the shuttle mechanism. From what I saw on you tube if you deoxit well and move it back and forth it works again.

Marantz unit here that has been that way for quite awhile. I end up holding it open with my hand till I drop the CD in.

The drawer load/limit switches are notorious. Some machines have one, others have several. Some machines have none and rely on motor current monitoring to determine load mechanism position. Some are strictly time based and have no limit switches either.

You can't go wrong locating and carefully cleaning limit switches, but correct belt replacement and loading mechanism cleaning and lubricating is a more likely path to the quickly reversing tray issue. Particular attention should be paid to plastic-on-plastic slide guides- use a plastics grease only.

Lubricate the upper bearing of the loading motor and while you're in there, clean and lubricate the laser sled guide(s) and the inner track limit switch on the sled assembly. Also lubricate/clean the spindle motor upper bearing.

Do NOT use isopropyl alcohol to clean the pickup lens, it clouds plastic. Use distilled water, grain alchohol (vodka) or Kodak Lens Cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom