CD Multi-Changers

fujimo

I'm thinking of getting a CD multi-changer, 300-400 cd capacity. Any recommendations or warnings? I know they aren't considered audiophile, but I think the ease of use would be great. Any comments would be appreciated.

I'd avoid the flat racks like the Technics...have seen many of them
where the steel cable cut thru the nylon rollers. They tracked poorly too.

Originally posted by fujimo
I'm thinking of getting a CD multi-changer, 300-400 cd capacity. Any recommendations or warnings? I know they aren't considered audiophile, but I think the ease of use would be great. Any comments would be appreciated.

Before purchasing a multi-changer, you should consider how you typically listen to music.

If you primarily play CDs as background music and/or as party soundtracks, then multi-changers offer some real advantages. However, if you like to sit and actively listen to the CDs you've purchased, then I'm not sure that the sonic compromises of multi-changers are really worth the "ease of use".

Sony introduced the compact disc in the '80s as a convenience medium first and foremost, and CDs are MUCH easier to use than LPs, cassettes, or what have you. So you need to ask yourself: Are the sonic benefits of single-disc players worth the minute or so that it takes to switch CDs?

Single vs. multi-disc?

Hi Brian...

You actually mentioned something I've been curious about for a while.

What exactly is the sonic difference between a single disc and multi-disc player?

I have never understood why there should be any difference at all. The primary point is that both play a single disc. Both play one disc at a time, on one transport. The fact that one player has a storage area for extra discs, and the other one doesn't, has nothing to do with the "playing" of the disc being played.

Or is it that the manufacturer assumes that buyers of multi-disc players are going to be lo-fi anyway, and they "cheap out" the components, such as DAC's, etc.?

Thoughts?
Clay

Clay my take on the multi disc players is exactly what you mentioned. When you compare a $400 single disc player with a $400 mega changer, well the changer has many more moving parts ( bad) and is physically larger thus requiring more raw materials to manufacture. Audio manufacturers are under no illusions when it comes to the market for mega changers. Sound quality and good DAC's are not a factor in that equation. Just build it as big and for as little money as possible. I have a very large early generation Sony 100 disc changer and it actually sounds better than the ones they build now. I would never confuse it with my Adcom transport and Museatex DAC though. :D

Mike

fujimo, my 2 cents, if you're going for a multi changer, get Sony's unit with SACD capability. It's built a bit better than the cheapies, and offers better sonic performance, IMHO. ;)

Multichanger

I too am interested in a multi, but 5 or 6 is enough for me. As I see it, the DAC's don't matter except for SACD or DVD-A. Redbook you're going to use the pre's DAC's anyway.
The transport, lens, and mechanicals are going to be-or should be-equivilant to the mfr's single disc models. So for CD, there shoudn't be any difference.
I would expect to pay a premium for good quality DAC's for Hi Def audio, but not for the mechanicals.
What I'd like to see is a multi equivilant to the Denon 2200 for example, in roughly the same price range. (And Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer equivilants). Marketing-wise, I don't see an alternative for these guys!:dunno:

I recently had a customer traded in his Sony for the Philips 795 changer, and it walked all over the Sony. He said the Philips souded analog by comparison :yikes:
He also put a Gutwire Notepad on the cover to dampen any extra resonance. Very sweet indeed. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom