CD Player Chirp...

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Pat217, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Pat217

Pat217 New Member

Hello everyone, just nabbed a Rega Planet CD player on Fleabay and, unfortunately, it has a playback issue.

On some tracks (more easily heard on quiet ones) the CD player produces a "chirp" or "crackle" in its audio output (heard through the speakers). I have A/B tested the issue extensively and it is certainly the Rega's fault.

Question 1: Any credible service people out there? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron, but digital devices are a little out of my realm. After contacting Rega's US distributor they directed me to a shop in CA. Being in MI, that's not the best!

Question 2: Any ideas on what might cause this twitch? DA? Other chips? I might be convinced to get in there and see what I can see.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

I have heard things like that from more than one CD player if the CD is warped. I've seen a lot of computer-made CDs that were warped because of paper labels that had dried out and shrunk with age, but I've also seen a commercial CD that was warped. Yesterday, I started hearing some abrupt chirps from a player, and looked at the CD and was reminded that it was one of the most scratched up thrift-store-found CDs I have. The player was ignoring most of those scratches, but finally got to one that it didn't like. I usually skip buying the scratched CDs, being pretty persnickety about that sort of thing, but it was an album I just had to have.

3. Pat217

Pat217 New Member

Thanks Steve. I'll check the disc, but it's not one I play often. I've read elsewhere that it could be related to the lack of error correction on the Rega. My Yamaha CDX 530 plays the disc without issue. It turns out the previous owner changed the laser so its possible something wasn't done well.

It'd be nice to know if there's anything related to the DAC that could be causing it since that would be a death knell.