CD Player Choices

ScooterMcTav

I know less than I think
Us audio enthusiasts sure can be a vain group....

In my second system, I am all silver components, except for my CD player. So I’ve been looking for a good quality player that won’t break the bank. Unfortunately, a couple of reasonably priced useful players (Yamaha CD-S300, TEAC CD-P650) seem to only be offered in silver in Japan.

So checking with my one of my audio pushers, and he can offer me a new Cambridge 650c, or a refurbed Micromega CD10 for $85 more than the Cambridge.

Anyone have experience with either of these players, and can anyone describe the characteristics of the sound of each one? The DAC in the Cambridge reportedly has a tipped up top end, while the MicroMega is described with confusing terms like “agile”.

Funny, I just read the review of the Micromega CD10 this morning and gathered it's only so-so until you step up to their CD-30. Interior photos looks like a spartan design. The Cambridge as well as Music Hall units would be my choices of modern silver faced units in that price.

You can get a silver version of the Onkyo C-7030 on the German eBay and shipping from Germany is usually cheaper than shipping within the US !!!!!

Actually a Denon DVD 2910 universal player fell into my lap today, and it looks pretty good. For cds, it has Burr Brown DACs, it can play SACD and HDCD, and it has farouja upscaling for my old DVDs.

And it’s silver.

Back
Top Bottom