CD player problems...

sasaki kojiro

I did some searches, and the best that I could come up with is laser mistracking.

My cdp (about 2 years old) started making soft static-like noises from time to time in a more or less random way, but usualy during certain passages on certain CDs. Lately it has gotten to an unaceptable level of frequency, and the static is a little louder and sometimes runs through whole songs. Some disks are worse than others, but even the bad disks sometimes play problem free.

The lens is clean, as are the CDs. Connecting a different cdp clears the problem completely. I plan to clean and lube the laser mechanisn, but would like more advice if possible.

SK- does this problem occur on all CDs, or just with CD-Rs/RWs?

I've noticed the same problem with my Ah! when using certain CD-Rs (mainly Memorex, may they rot in the netherworld!), but have not had the problem with CDs yet.

reyneman,
No, the static noise occurs strictly with pristine redbook discs. I'll be taking a look at the cdp tonight.

Oh well- just a shot in the dark on my part.

You've done the research and I haven't, but I was under the (mistaken?) impression that mistracking caused intermittent problems more in the line of not completing a disc, or moving to a selected track and then shutting down (as if you had just inserted a disc), playing a disc fine today and not playing it at all tomorrow, etc.

Please post what you find, when you find it...Ray

I accessed the tracking rod, and the rod looked clean as did the internals of the player. Hardly any dust at all, to tell you the truth. The rod was cleaned with Kontak, and lightly lubed with Breakfree.

Anyway, the player is now working fine as far as I can tell, although there is lingering doubt as to possible distortions due to mistracking. It now responds a bit more quickly to remote commands, and the sound seem a little more dynamic as well.

I still think its time to think about a new player, then this one can play backup.

Back
Top Bottom