1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

CD Player recommendations??

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by dantay, Apr 21, 2017.

1. dantay

dantay AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am replacing my older Nad Cd player that is acting up .... I don't use it too often but would like to buy used in the 400-600$ range. I have seen Shanling, Camdridge , Exposure and Quad. Any opinions?

2. ferninando

ferninando AK Subscriber Subscriber

Onkyo 7030.
    new

but word is out. CD is dieing so u mite as well forget it.
    Read all the doom and gloom rite here on AK. The absolute authority on the subject.
    Digital sources forum has all the knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    grillebilly and Djcoolray like this.
  3. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

I can't fault the neat little Oppo SACD player that I picked up recently. Paid $100 for it and it works perfectly. I have it hooked up to my DAC so I'm only using it as a transport, but reviews on its sonic performance indicate that it's a decent performer.

4. Jmodified

Jmodified New Member

I recently purchased an Onkyo 7030 because of all the hype, and the Wolfson dacs. Skipped on every cd I played and found out they are using AK4482VT budget dacs. Sent it back and searching for something new. Many retailers still advertising as having Wolfson chip. F.Y.I.

5. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

The 7030 is a great budget player but can sound a bit thin or "lightweight" at times, and I think you can do better in your budget range. I would add the Marantz 6005 or the new 6006 to your list. Excellent transport, warm and detailed sound, USB input that now has direct Apple device support. I've had the 6005 for a couple of years now and it's been flawless. Get a Marantz refurbished unit for $100 less at Accessories4less and save some dough. I've bought a number of factory refurbs from them and each one has been just like a new one out of the box. Good hunting.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...c-cd-player-w/usb-port-for-ipod/iphone/1.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    24Vboost likes this.
  6. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

The 7030 needs more than just a while to break in, takes like at least a hundred hours before it starts to open up...

7. ferninando

djcool, that may be tru in some cases, but mine has not exibited that characteristic.
    I have heard nothing but excelent sq out of it since day one.
    My only complaint will be if it doesn't have the Wolfson DACs as advertised.
    I will be checkig that

SoNic67 likes this.
  8. ferninando

There were 3 chips big eunf to be called DACs non of which had a number matching AK4484VT
    and non of which were labled Wolfson.
    The user manual says it has a Wolfson DAC in it and thats good enuf for me.
    So I would like "Jmodified" to prove his claim of non wolfson DACs in the C7030
    if he can.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  9. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I recently purchased a Marantz 72U. Uses Philips components and sounds fabulous. Very analog sounding. Not thin, or harsh, and fantastic bass. I believe the Philips CD-60 is the equalivent player. There's a nice CD 80 for a little more than your budget on fleabay now.

10. Drumolator

Drumolator Super Member

I like my TEAC CD-P650. Peace and goodwill.

ScooterMcTav likes this.
  11. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

Find old Oppo 83se. This is best player you can get. It plays ALL kinds of disks and have audiophile quality stereo DAC. Newer players from Oppo also good, but have some restriction in what they play.

If you only play commercial pressings of CD and SACD, then used Sony 5400 is an excellent choice.

AlTinkster92 likes this.
  12. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

New, I really like my Yamaha CD-S300. My main CD player. Direct out bypasses all sound shaping.

I also have a TEAC CD-P650 as a prior poster suggested. It can dub direct to a USB drive, so that's a cool option if you can use it.

Cheap and used, I really like the old Technics players. There's lots of info out there on them One I have is from the mid-80's and I use it several times a week in my bedroom system.

No idea about multi-disk units. I'll be posting to ask about them as I can use the long play time.

13. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

I would avoid the Onkyo C-7030 I got two years two months out of mine and the board not the transport went bad.

KevinCorr and Condorsat like this.
  14. SuperLead100

SuperLead100 "These go to 11"

I agree with this; cd-s300 is a nice player with USB input. I also use a Yamaha cd-c600, this is the carousel 5 disk player, also with USB input. These are well built units with excellent sound quality.

15. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Old Technics players are fine, but when I replaced it with the Marantz, it was astonishing how much better my CD's sound, no contest!

16. ScooterMcTav

ScooterMcTav AK Subscriber Subscriber

Second this. I paid a little more than it can be picked up for in the US, but if you are using the player's onboard DAC (instead of digital out), and you'd like a better DAC to use with your iDevice, it is super for the money. Was a great upgrade as both a DAC for my iPhone, and as a CD player from the Integra DVD I was using as a CD player in my single disc system.

Although it is heavily discounted right now, I do believe it was once in the $400 range at launch.

Drumolator likes this.
  17. arclight73

arclight73 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I will throw another nod in for the Yamaha CD-S300. Probably one of the best budget players. Solid build and great sound. Was gonna primarily use it as a transport but the analog out is top notch.

18. ferninando

I have joined the ranks of Yam CD S300 owners . It is a very fine sounding mach.
    Wonderful low freq responce and overall excellent SQ.
    Especially like the USB port. I use it to play the thumb drives from the car and other portable music player.
    Different song mixes all in one place so do not have to change discs as often..
    Really glad I got it. Definatly recommended.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Steve S. likes this.