CD Player recommendations??

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by dantay, Apr 21, 2017.

1. dantay

dantay Active Member

I am replacing my older Nad Cd player that is acting up .... I don't use it too often but would like to buy used in the 400-600$ range. I have seen Shanling, Camdridge , Exposure and Quad. Any opinions?

2. ferninando

ferninando super tek Subscriber

Onkyo 7030.
    new

but word is out. CD is dieing so u mite as well forget it.
    Read all the doom and gloom rite here on AK. The absolute authority on the subject.
    Digital sources forum has all the knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Djcoolray likes this.
  3. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

I can't fault the neat little Oppo SACD player that I picked up recently. Paid $100 for it and it works perfectly. I have it hooked up to my DAC so I'm only using it as a transport, but reviews on its sonic performance indicate that it's a decent performer.

4. Jmodified

Jmodified New Member

I recently purchased an Onkyo 7030 because of all the hype, and the Wolfson dacs. Skipped on every cd I played and found out they are using AK4482VT budget dacs. Sent it back and searching for something new. Many retailers still advertising as having Wolfson chip. F.Y.I.

5. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

The 7030 is a great budget player but can sound a bit thin or "lightweight" at times, and I think you can do better in your budget range. I would add the Marantz 6005 or the new 6006 to your list. Excellent transport, warm and detailed sound, USB input that now has direct Apple device support. I've had the 6005 for a couple of years now and it's been flawless. Get a Marantz refurbished unit for $100 less at Accessories4less and save some dough. I've bought a number of factory refurbs from them and each one has been just like a new one out of the box. Good hunting.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...c-cd-player-w/usb-port-for-ipod/iphone/1.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    24Vboost likes this.
  6. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

The 7030 needs more than just a while to break in, takes like at least a hundred hours before it starts to open up...

7. ferninando

ferninando super tek Subscriber

djcool, that may be tru in some cases, but mine has not exibited that characteristic.
    I have heard nothing but excelent sq out of it since day one.
    My only complaint will be if it doesn't have the Wolfson DACs as advertised.
    I will be checkig that