CD Player recommendations??

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by dantay, Apr 21, 2017.

1. aloha

aloha New Member

you are right implementation is everything.
    Now to put things in perspective I came from a mid to high quality system mostly Quiksilver audio set up down to a Denon AVR-3803/1083 with older BDP-S550 Sony bluray Dual Turntable and pioneer reference speakers.
    so old stuff but quality still. I used to own thousands $ in Tube equipment. My prized possession was a highly upgraded N.E.W crossroads tube cdp with two 6922 Tungsol tubes which sounded just spectacular see pics. https://goo.gl/photos/Zx8WVwjM1QXFHJBt7

That makes it hard for me to review digital stuff overall as transparency lush and liquidity is what I used to have and craved..
    Now without being too harsh the Onkyo is quite dynamic and forceful, cleaner tight bass.With my Acoustic Zen audiophile analog demo recordings,it sounds very impressive clear/transparent/dynamic with a nice soundstage but those quality recordings are a big part of it.
    Now on my decent standard cds and female vocals with my current system I actually find the 7030 much less forgiving a bit "glassy" neutral sounding to my ears in this low FI front end of mine.

The blu-ray player in comparison because it is not as detailed and focused it actually feels more warm/fuller but also sluggish if that makes any sense?
    I did have a few skips on track 6 of Fiona apple cd (played fine after a quick clean) the bluray player would have no issues and also with the black layered audiophile CDR disk I'm listening to right now it keep skipping the song even after cleaning.

So yes the laser reading issue is diminishing my excitement quickly :)

Reviewing audio is always tricky as it is system dependent.but that skipping issues that I can share without hesitation.
    So likely will return it but not for another likely will give a try to another CDP and likely will have to pay a bit more because cost to value is hard to beat.

I'll add to this thoughts later if need be. (had to edit to correct some typos) :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. aloha

aloha New Member

3. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm digging the Oppo BDP-95 that I just got, and it fits your budget too.

4. arclight73

arclight73 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pioneer merged with Onkyo several years back and they share many of the same parts. The Pioneer player is essentially the Onkyo without a digital out and some cosmetic differences.

5. aloha

aloha New Member

The Onkyo is a better value as it has as you mentioned digital out and also a headphone section. Hard to beat the value of this player I have til sep 15 for a return in the meantime I will test my other cds and see if skipping keep being an issue.

I'll add that the Onkyo has a solid feel with attractive cosmetics,tray open a close quietly,buttons are solid tactile feel.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  6. aloha

aloha New Member

A quick update: the Onkyo has not skipped on any other cds so far, so quite good and I must say it is a great sounding player and man can it do bass! I think it also improved overall I do not find it bright after running it almost non stop for a few days now. just perhaps on my older cds which would make sense since the mastering quality on most were junk.
    I also found a great deal on a nearly new Marantz cd6006 which I will receive this week I'll do a quick comparison of the two.

That comparison will never happened as the seller shipped that Marantz by placing it into a laptop box! no double box or padding inside was painful to look at.
    Some people are just amazing.

https://goo.gl/photos/9PG5xjSV4P2TfDtr5

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

7. scottdavis08

scottdavis08 Member

The Onkyo C-7030 cd players are still being sold for cheap on Amazon late 2018. The plan was to buy the Onkyo C-7030 and possibly a Schiit Audio modi multibit, for a dac to improve sound. I now have the Onkyo, and I'm blown away with the sound, Wolfson dac or not. Amazing for a little over $100. I'll just have to see down the line on the reliability.

8. Waspinators

Waspinators Member

Hello to ya both, any updates or extra info on your C-7030s? I got one on the way from Amazon and was actually unaware of the Wolfson being switched out for the AKM until after I'd ordered it, which bummed me out, but your messages are getting me excited about the 7030 again. How does it sound through the headphone out? Have you noted the sound to be "clinical" at all? Any other points would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

9. SA7I

SA7I AK Subscriber Subscriber

You would be better off ripping CDs and then using an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, or iPhone X as your source (unless you've got a laptop).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. N8Nagel

That's a great player, but I thought that the 95 was supposed to be better?

Story I heard was that for 2 channel audio the 95 was actually preferable to the 105 because of the way the DAC chips were implemented. Now if it matters to you, the 205 does not decode HDCD information. I never had a 83se, went straight from DVD to the 103, then later on picked up a 95 and 105 and sold the 103.

11. N8Nagel

I agree with the concept, but I use a laptop with a USB DAC.

A good "all in one" would be an Oppo 105 as you can use it as a USB DAC, if such things matter to you. Or if you really don't care about spinning discs DAC only units are very compact.

12. SA7I

I prefer connecting an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, or iPhone X to an external DAC via USB type C to A, and then from there to a preamplifier via 3.5 mini to 2-male RCA. I'm using a DragonFly (Red) DAC from AudioQuest (https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red) with my Apple iPad Pro X and it's amazing! :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. N8Nagel

Ah, I didn't realize that you were using a DAC as well. Yeah, that's the ticket. Although I still like the laptop because then I can control it through my phone (either Kodi or the Spotify app) through my phone while sitting in the sweet spot. Diff'rent strokes :)

14. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

You need to move up with all balanced interconnects (from DAC to pre-amp and from preamp to power amplifier), then you will feel the difference and need in purposely build player.

15. SA7I

For my main system, I'm using a DragonFly (Red) DAC from AudioQuest connected to an Apple MacBook Pro. ;)

You have your views and I have mine.

16. rsrguy

rsrguy New Member

So what's my best option if I'd like to use one of the large capacity players. I'm not hung up on a 300 cap unit, I'm more concerned with playback quality.. There is a jvc 200 available locally but no luck finding any reviews, I think it's the
    JVC XL-MC334BK

17. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Fine player, right there.

In what way would that be better than a standalone player?? I'm not understanding how moving those 0's and 1's to another item such as an iPod, with its not-so-great components would benefit the OP in any appreciable way.

Please realize, I have about 15 cdp's and an old 160 gb iPod that I play thru a Technics standalone interface, and yes, the sound is good, but that's in the Technics, because it is doing all the digital heavy lifting.

I think the OP would be best served with any of the suggestions here, and I'll make one myself - get an old Sony Playstation 1, preferably the SCHP-1001 or 5501. They're staggeringly good.

18. SA7I

For starters, an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, iPhone X, or MacBook Pro gives the user the ability to play lossless tracks from any album instantaneously or with a click of a button, rather than taking a CD out and placing another one back in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, iPhone X, or MacBook Pro, especially when paired with an external DAC.

19. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

On point #1 -

Well, that isn't a sound feature, that is a convenience feature.

On point #2 -

Nope. For that matter, a 10 dollar Coby with digital out will work just as well.

Not sure what you meant quoting my suggestion to go with a Sony Playstation.

Look, I get it - digital servers are indeed convenient, but if I remember correctly, the OP wanted to suggest a good cd player. That was the topic at hand.

20. SA7I

That's why I suggested the OP rip his CDs and then buy either an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, iPhone X or MacBook Pro.