CD Player recommendations??

came across this pioneer site and the inner showing of the Pioneer PD-10AE cdplayer is identical to the Onkyo C-7030

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/2-Channel+Components/PD-10AE

https://goo.gl/photos/6qCtqBwJPJYcwhoZ6

what do you make of that? at least pioneer does list the AKM-DAC 4482VT for chip which is the exact same one in my Onkyo.
Same looks same price and likely same sound :)
Pioneer merged with Onkyo several years back and they share many of the same parts. The Pioneer player is essentially the Onkyo without a digital out and some cosmetic differences.

Pioneer merged with Onkyo several years back and they share many of the same parts. The Pioneer player is essentially the Onkyo without a digital out and some cosmetic differences.

The Onkyo is a better value as it has as you mentioned digital out and also a headphone section. Hard to beat the value of this player I have til sep 15 for a return in the meantime I will test my other cds and see if skipping keep being an issue.

I'll add that the Onkyo has a solid feel with attractive cosmetics,tray open a close quietly,buttons are solid tactile feel.

Last edited:
A quick update: the Onkyo has not skipped on any other cds so far, so quite good and I must say it is a great sounding player and man can it do bass! I think it also improved overall I do not find it bright after running it almost non stop for a few days now. just perhaps on my older cds which would make sense since the mastering quality on most were junk.
I also found a great deal on a nearly new Marantz cd6006 which I will receive this week I'll do a quick comparison of the two.

That comparison will never happened as the seller shipped that Marantz by placing it into a laptop box! no double box or padding inside was painful to look at.
Some people are just amazing.

https://goo.gl/photos/9PG5xjSV4P2TfDtr5

Last edited:
The Onkyo C-7030 cd players are still being sold for cheap on Amazon late 2018. The plan was to buy the Onkyo C-7030 and possibly a Schiit Audio modi multibit, for a dac to improve sound. I now have the Onkyo, and I'm blown away with the sound, Wolfson dac or not. Amazing for a little over $100. I'll just have to see down the line on the reliability.

A quick update: the Onkyo has not skipped on any other cds so far, so quite good and I must say it is a great sounding player and man can it do bass! I think it also improved overall I do not find it bright after running it almost non stop for a few days now. just perhaps on my older cds which would make sense since the mastering quality on most were junk.
I also found a great deal on a nearly new Marantz cd6006 which I will receive this week I'll do a quick comparison of the two.

That comparison will never happened as the seller shipped that Marantz by placing it into a laptop box! no double box or padding inside was painful to look at.
Some people are just amazing.

https://goo.gl/photos/9PG5xjSV4P2TfDtr5

The Onkyo C-7030 cd players are still being sold for cheap on Amazon late 2018. The plan was to buy the Onkyo C-7030 and possibly a Schiit Audio modi multibit, for a dac to improve sound. I now have the Onkyo, and I'm blown away with the sound, Wolfson dac or not. Amazing for a little over $100. I'll just have to see down the line on the reliability.

Hello to ya both, any updates or extra info on your C-7030s? I got one on the way from Amazon and was actually unaware of the Wolfson being switched out for the AKM until after I'd ordered it, which bummed me out, but your messages are getting me excited about the 7030 again. How does it sound through the headphone out? Have you noted the sound to be "clinical" at all? Any other points would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Onkyo 7030.
new

but word is out. CD is dieing so u mite as well forget it.
Read all the doom and gloom rite here on AK. The absolute authority on the subject.
Digital sources forum has all the knowledge.
You would be better off ripping CDs and then using an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, or iPhone X as your source (unless you've got a laptop).

Last edited:
Find old Oppo 83se. This is best player you can get. It plays ALL kinds of disks and have audiophile quality stereo DAC. Newer players from Oppo also good, but have some restriction in what they play.

If you only play commercial pressings of CD and SACD, then used Sony 5400 is an excellent choice.

That's a great player, but I thought that the 95 was supposed to be better?

Story I heard was that for 2 channel audio the 95 was actually preferable to the 105 because of the way the DAC chips were implemented. Now if it matters to you, the 205 does not decode HDCD information. I never had a 83se, went straight from DVD to the 103, then later on picked up a 95 and 105 and sold the 103.

You would be better off ripping CDs and then using an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, or iPhone X as your source.

I agree with the concept, but I use a laptop with a USB DAC.

A good "all in one" would be an Oppo 105 as you can use it as a USB DAC, if such things matter to you. Or if you really don't care about spinning discs DAC only units are very compact.

A good "all in one" would be an Oppo 105 as you can use it as a USB DAC, if such things matter to you. Or if you really don't care about spinning discs DAC only units are very compact.
I prefer connecting an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, or iPhone X to an external DAC via USB type C to A, and then from there to a preamplifier via 3.5 mini to 2-male RCA. I'm using a DragonFly (Red) DAC from AudioQuest (https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red) with my Apple iPad Pro X and it's amazing! :)

Last edited:
I prefer connecting an iPod, iPad, or iPhone to an external DAC via USB type C to A, and then from there to a preamplifier via 3.5 mini to 2-male RCA. I'm using a DragonFly (Red) DAC from AudioQuest (https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red) with my Apple iPad Pro X and it's amazing! :)

Ah, I didn't realize that you were using a DAC as well. Yeah, that's the ticket. Although I still like the laptop because then I can control it through my phone (either Kodi or the Spotify app) through my phone while sitting in the sweet spot. Diff'rent strokes :)

I prefer connecting an iPod, iPad, or iPhone to an external DAC via USB type C to A, and then from there to a preamplifier via 3.5 mini to 2-male RCA. I'm using a DragonFly (Red) DAC from AudioQuest (https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red) with my Apple iPad Pro X and it's amazing! :)

You need to move up with all balanced interconnects (from DAC to pre-amp and from preamp to power amplifier), then you will feel the difference and need in purposely build player.

I agree with the concept, but I use a laptop with a USB DAC.
For my main system, I'm using a DragonFly (Red) DAC from AudioQuest connected to an Apple MacBook Pro. ;)

You need to move up with all balanced interconnects (from DAC to pre-amp and from preamp to power amplifier), then you will feel the difference and need in purposely build player.
You have your views and I have mine.

So what's my best option if I'd like to use one of the large capacity players. I'm not hung up on a 300 cap unit, I'm more concerned with playback quality.. There is a jvc 200 available locally but no luck finding any reviews, I think it's the
JVC XL-MC334BK

I like my TEAC CD-P650. Peace and goodwill.

Fine player, right there.

You would be better off ripping CDs and then using an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, or iPhone X as your source (unless you've got a laptop).

In what way would that be better than a standalone player?? I'm not understanding how moving those 0's and 1's to another item such as an iPod, with its not-so-great components would benefit the OP in any appreciable way.

Please realize, I have about 15 cdp's and an old 160 gb iPod that I play thru a Technics standalone interface, and yes, the sound is good, but that's in the Technics, because it is doing all the digital heavy lifting.

I think the OP would be best served with any of the suggestions here, and I'll make one myself - get an old Sony Playstation 1, preferably the SCHP-1001 or 5501. They're staggeringly good.

In what way would that be better than a standalone player??

For starters, an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, iPhone X, or MacBook Pro gives the user the ability to play lossless tracks from any album instantaneously or with a click of a button, rather than taking a CD out and placing another one back in.

I'm not understanding how moving those 0's and 1's to another item such as an iPod, with its not-so-great components would benefit the OP in any appreciable way.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Apple iPod, iPad Pro X, iPhone X, or MacBook Pro, especially when paired with an external DAC.

I think the OP would be best served with any of the suggestions here, and I'll make one myself - get an old Sony Playstation 1, preferably the SCHP-1001 or 5501. They're staggeringly good.

Last edited:
For starters, an iPod or MacBook Pro gives the user the ability to play lossless tracks from any album instantaneously or with a click of a button, rather than taking a CD out and placing another one back in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an iPod or MacBook Pro, especially when paired with an external DAC.

On point #1 -

Well, that isn't a sound feature, that is a convenience feature.

On point #2 -

Nope. For that matter, a 10 dollar Coby with digital out will work just as well.

Not sure what you meant quoting my suggestion to go with a Sony Playstation.

Look, I get it - digital servers are indeed convenient, but if I remember correctly, the OP wanted to suggest a good cd player. That was the topic at hand.

Back
Top Bottom