CD Player recommendations??

Hello to ya both, any updates or extra info on your C-7030s? I got one on the way from Amazon and was actually unaware of the Wolfson being switched out for the AKM until after I'd ordered it, which bummed me out, but your messages are getting me excited about the 7030 again. How does it sound through the headphone out? Have you noted the sound to be "clinical" at all? Any other points would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Whoa....wait a minute. The 7030 no longer uses Wolson dac's?!?!?!? I was just getting ready to order one.

I got an Integra CDC-3.4 last week. It's a changer but sounds great. Wolfson DAC, fast transport and intuitive user interface.

Just what I was looking for.

I agree with Dudeman7. Been using the Integra CDC-3.4 for a little over a week and can say that I'm incredibly pleased with the unit. Just what I was looking for too. It was an upgrade from my old AIWA CD changer but man what an upgrade. I am in awe of the beautiful "new" music I'm hearing now from CD's I've listened to dozens of times. Can't wait to get off work and listen to more. Couldn't be happier.

My current goto CD player is an old Toshiba HD-dvd player the HD-A1. It's slow to boot up, but it's built like a tank, and sound quality is top notch. I keep a HD-A2 backup in case the HD-A1 ever gives up the ghost.

Here's thread where people have compared the HD-A1 to many of the players mentioned in this thread
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/toshiba-hd-a1-hd-dvd-player-for-cds.661243/

Interesting. I have a HD-D2 that's on the shelf that I literally don't think I've even tested. Does that even compare or is that just a historical curiosity?

Interesting. I have a HD-D2 that's on the shelf that I literally don't think I've even tested. Does that even compare or is that just a historical curiosity?

Try it out, from google it seems like that's the costco version of the HD-A2. TBH, I haven't used my HD-A2 much past making sure it works, since I prefer the looks of the HD-A1. I have mine setup so I can compare it's onboard DAC against the digital coax out into my SMSL sanskrit pro. From what I can tell, the onboard has more output than the SMSL for sure, and sounds warmer. The SMSL does sound a bit more detailed at times though.

Try it out, from google it seems like that's the costco version of the HD-A2. TBH, I haven't used my HD-A2 much past making sure it works, since I prefer the looks of the HD-A1. I have mine setup so I can compare it's onboard DAC against the digital coax out into my SMSL sanskrit pro. From what I can tell, the onboard has more output than the SMSL for sure, and sounds warmer. The SMSL does sound a bit more detailed at times though.

I'm finding little info on the DAC but I may put it in the kitchen until I can find a laser for my PD-M910 which has gone flaky again. I'm having no luck with CDPs lately, the Luxman one on my desk at work has died again too.

so I am sitting here with my morning coffee (MD appt. so didn't go into work today) and after a deeper dive it appears the HD-A2/D2 may have a Wolfson WM8740 DAC... can you use it for a CDP without a monitor hooked up? I do have the remote.

so I am sitting here with my morning coffee (MD appt. so didn't go into work today) and after a deeper dive it appears the HD-A2/D2 may have a Wolfson WM8740 DAC... can you use it for a CDP without a monitor hooked up? I do have the remote.

Yup, I use mine without monitor, just remote

Yup, I use mine without monitor, just remote

So I dug it out, unwrapped it, temporarily set it up (I need a helper to set it up right) and it's working! Too soon to tell how I feel about the sound, but my old Pioneer was pissing me off, I need to find a good "upside down" laser assembly.

Fun fact: this thing cares about polarity. I didn't have the right polarized cord but I had an unpolarized one that would fit; it will only work and play one way otherwise it just hangs.

Wish it had FF and REW buttons so I didn't need to leave the remote out, but otherwise, it's working. Also wish the display were another color than VFD blue so it looked better with my Sansui 2000A; the orange display of the Pio looked better with the orange "AUX" lamp on the Sui. But it does have the distinct advantage of working.

The Integra is still going strong and sounding great. It completely reinvigorated my love of the CD format.

Two thumbs up, highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom