CD Player recommendations??

ONE APPROACH THAT HAS THE FUTURE IN MIND: Strong older players as transports only!

Did the Yamaha CDX series ever get exported? Years ago I got a CDX 1020 from HiFiDo. I hate to use the cliche, but it's built like a tank! It does not have a hood; it has a top made of steel plate that nestles into a bed on the chassis and fastens with a number of bevelled machine screws all around. That should tell you about the build quality in a nutshell.

But it is only a second generation machine, which are not usually known for their stellar sound — although it's not that bad. Nonetheless, I did not buy it to make the noise, but rather only to transport it with a minimal amount of jitter. The outboard DAC does the sweet-talking, which in my case is a DIY Paradise Monica III.

So my two cents worth in this thread is to buy a hi-end, EARLY gen player that most discerning people would pass up. You might get a really good deal. Put your dosh towards a DAC of your choice. Actually, any decent player with "digi out" will do as a transport. Put the emphasis on the DAC. If an older players dies in action, you still have your larger investment intact and waiting for another transport, or even a USB something. I really think this is the way to go.

I'm currently listening to a Sony CDP-CX90ES 200 disc changer. I had been using a Sony DVP-S9000ES for a couple years because the changer was skipping. Found a video on Youtube on how to clean the rod that the laser pickup rides on. The grease had gunked up over 23 years of use and the pickup would stick as it'd advance into the disc. Voila...works perfect now.

Love them both. The 90ES even plays music CD-R's perfect, surprising for a 1996. Wish I could find a backup belt for it because they're not available any more.

I watched a DVD on the 9000ES last night and am still amazed how good a picture that puts out. Heck of a CD player too.

I have an OPPO 105D that, for me anyway, sounds lacking overall. DVD & blue ray different story. My old pioneer DV-09 has a warm sound to it I guess one would say. My Integra DPS-10.5 sounds very detailed and accurate without coloration. Just my opinion anyway.

SNIP>>>>> Love them both. The 90ES even plays music CD-R's perfect, surprising for a 1996. Wish I could find a backup belt for it because they're not available any more. SNIP >>>>

Years ago I found a solution for a belt that I thought was impossible to replace in a big Sansui amp. (It rotated a drum that was actually a sophisticated selector switch) I cut the rib-end off a condom, then carefully formed it onto the pulleys. It lasted and performed well for years, until I finally I had to take the unit into a workshop to repair a fault. (Turned out to be some rather rare transistors) The tech fellow had been a Sanusi engineer back in the days. I wish I had photographs of his face when I told him about my bodged belt. Correct belt sizes may go and never be made again, but I think condoms will be around for a long time to come. (BTW - he had the correct belt in stock.)

Years ago I found a solution for a belt that I thought was impossible to replace in a big Sansui amp. (It rotated a drum that was actually a sophisticated selector switch) I cut the rib-end off a condom, then carefully formed it onto the pulleys. It lasted and performed well for years, until I finally I had to take the unit into a workshop to repair a fault. (Turned out to be some rather rare transistors) The tech fellow had been a Sansui engineer back in the days. I wish I had photographs of his face when I told him about my bodged belt. Correct belt sizes may go and never be made again, but I think condoms will be around for a long time to come. (BTW - he had the correct belt in stock.)

This one has a ribbed belt, the only belt it has apparently. The belt look likes two belts maybe a quarter inch apart, with ribs connecting the two together every 1/8th inch or so. My thinking is if I can find a CDP-CX 200 series locally that uses the same belt - there's roughly 10 pieces that used the same exact belt - I can keep "R2D2" (my friend's nickname for it) running. There's plenty galore on FleaBay, but shipping charges for carousel changers turn a somewhat palatable $50 unit into "$100+ for the belt only". There was one for sale locally on CL 2 weeks ago that I am kicking myself for not buying.

My belt visually looks stretched a bit. Works fine, but I "fear for it's future". I didn't know it was a possible need until last Saturday when I performed the laser grease fix. By then, the CL unit was already sold. CRAP.

I'm covered for time being, but for now just gonna hope for the best and search locally for a cheap unit with the same belt. If not, I might pick up one of the newer 300 disc units. They come up for sale roughly 2-3 times a month locally on CL...and surprisingly disappear fairly quickly.

Lorne's belt might be ribbed too but it's "Ribbed for her pleasure".

Excellent fix, lorne!

Good luck with the repair, dlrhawks!

welp...I found my "replacement" changer.

I found locally on FB Marketplace a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disv DVD/CD player for $20, talked him down from $30. Buying it was a farce of an experience. The guy selling it lived in a mobile home that looked like at some point he tore literally everything out of it. Had no carpeting, practically no furniture. He was Cat Man...had by my count 6 cats - and it smelled like it too.

He demonstrated the player and it worked, but when the carousel spun it was noisy like a gear had a speck of dirt in a gear somewhere. But it found, read and played both CD-R's and DVD-R's I bought and the price was right, so I offered $20 and he accepted it.

When I got it home and popped the cover was when things got interesting. The gears were riddled with crushed dead bug body parts because at some point someone used what looks like Vasoline to lubricate them - as well as I assume it sat outside or in a garage given the bugs. So, after a good hour using compressed air, a jewelry screwdriver, point of a knife, and numerous q-tips I was able to clean out much of the bug pieces and bucket of Vasoline to where it's not quite as noisy. Then just a matter of finding in my collection of old remotes one that worked and voila...works fairly well all things considered.

Already ordered new belts, and will investigate taking it apart enough to remove all the gears and give them a thorough cleaning. Nice player...I know it got some bad reviews because of the user interface more than anything else, but it looks to me like any ordinary Sony DVD player interface to me.

Has HDMI and up-converting to 1080i and it'll hold all my burned CD-R's and remaining "unique" DVD's I don't have in any other format. If I get one year out of it, it'll have been worth it - but I bet I should get more than that.

need advise :
- Adcom GCD-575 : non HDCD player
- Rotel RCD-1072 : HDCD player
which one more high quality sound ?

thanks
I have owned several players and HDCD is definitely better. I have a
Oppo DV-970HD I bought off of Ebay for an excellent price.

My current goto CD player is an old Toshiba HD-dvd player the HD-A1. It's slow to boot up, but it's built like a tank, and sound quality is top notch. I keep a HD-A2 backup in case the HD-A1 ever gives up the ghost.

Here's thread where people have compared the HD-A1 to many of the players mentioned in this thread
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/toshiba-hd-a1-hd-dvd-player-for-cds.661243/

I also use HDDVD players. I have an HD-XA1 and an HD-XA2 that I use for cd players, excellent sound built like tanks.

Hello to all. I am new and am enjoying there education here found immensely! So thank you to all.
My simple question is: what is the DAC in a Nakamichi MB-2? Playing through Snell E II speakers, fed by an SR4-A Nak, it sounds pretty good to me. It also plays extremely well through the Crown 300A into Klipsch speakers upstairs. But anyway, why does it sound this good if the DAC is so out of date? Or am I fooling myself?

Thanks, keep the info flowing. Hope to be able to join in someday with more than just questions.

Bumping a slightly dormant topic here, but today's been a great CD player day.

I had a Sony CDP-CA8ES I got free a few years ago. It was free because the tray would spin not recognizing loaded discs. I got it from the original owner who said and I quote "the stupid thing has never, ever worked correct from the day I bought it, even went to the Sony warranty repair center 3 different times...you can have it". It would play occasionally but eventually the tray spin issue became permanent, then the tray then jammed on me. So I took it to my tech, who replaced one of the two belts (charged me $2, 5 minute "fix") and pronounced it working.

Well, it wasn't. In transporting it home (I'm assuming anyway) something went haywire, the tray would jam half open, but it also would "half-aim" discs loading to play...meaning the laser assembly would rise up with the tray right in the middle between 2 discs. The tray would then open on its own, jamming up. I could power it down, then power it up, and then it'd find the disc and play it. The problems were worse with multiple discs...so I simply put the player away for a rainy day, which was today.

Perusing some videos on repair guys fixing up 5 disc players, a common theme was that the gears that control the tray's disc positioning are one on top of the other under the tray, and have to be in exact alignment to work properly. So, while my player wasn't an exact match to any specific video, it did show me how to take the top/bottom covers and front panel off to remove the tray. I removed the two gears, but because the bottom gear isn't visible when assembled...no clue whether it was notched correct or not.

So, I eyeballed it to notch it best I could, re-assembled (dumb stupid luck probably), plugged it in, played 1 disc perfect. Loaded 5 and hit shuffle all discs, works perfect. I'm now assuming that it is entirely possible this gear alignment has never been installed correct and all the prior techs never caught it.

So...a roughly $550 retail CD player for the cost of a $2 belt and an hour's time. Dunno how good a player it is (2nd from their TOL 5 disc players in 1998 I believe), but it sounds perfectly fine, has great specs, and I've always had great luck with that era's Sony multi-disc players when working properly.

This thing WAS going to the county recycling facility Monday if I couldn't get it up and running...

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post my question here.

I own an NAD 516BEE CD player that I bought in 2011 to pair with a NAD 316BEE integrated. Both units are in service and running strong, but no longer together. The 516 is my main CD source attached to my Marantz PM8005 and the 316 is powering a pair of Elac B6 loudspeakers for computer sound.

I want to reunite the 516 and 316 units and buy a new CD player for my main system. My first choice is Marantz (5005 or 6006) because they use the same remote as the PM8005 and will match it aesthetically. However, the NAD 516 plays with such power and dynamics (its analog outputs completely slaughter the Topping D30 I tried pairing with it) that I am afraid to waste $$ and end up disappointed.

Anyone with experience with the NAD that has heard anything just as "ballsy"? My budget is anywhere from $0 to $1,000 but I would like to keep somewhere in the middle and will also pay up for the perfect unit. Interested in new units only.

Thanks in advance.

I like my TEAC CD-P650. Peace and goodwill.
Second this. I paid a little more than it can be picked up for in the US, but if you are using the player's onboard DAC (instead of digital out), and you'd like a better DAC to use with your iDevice, it is super for the money. Was a great upgrade as both a DAC for my iPhone, and as a CD player from the Integra DVD I was using as a CD player in my single disc system.

Although it is heavily discounted right now, I do believe it was once in the $400 range at launch.
just got a new teac p650, sounds pretty good
I came here to recommend this cd player, too. I've had one for about 4 years now, bought on recommendation of AK members and it's easily one of the most satisfying purchases in my music stuff. Easy to set up, easy to pair with usb device for storage/streaming through the onboard Burr-Brown DAC, has its own headphone jack/volume control, and completely trouble free operation - I was even able to teach the remote commands to a sony system commander remote from the late 80s.

If I had a little extra disposable income at the moment, I'd almost consider picking up a second one for my lounge/office system - the computer is in here and it's hooked up to this system through a SB XFiHD so it's absolutely not necessary, but you guys know how it goes LOL. Highly recommended device! :D

Edited to add additional love for the P650 found upstream in the thread lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom