CD player: Vintage vs. New, your thoughts please

tiy3

Hi all,
I've got some vintage gear I use for listening to LPs and thought it was about time to add a CD player back into the mix. My current system is:
Onkyo M-504 Amp, Onkyo P-303 Pre, Onkyo T-909 Tuner, Onkyo E-30 EQ, Denon DP-47F turntable, and
DCM Time Window speakers.

I'm on the fence about purchasing something like an older Onkyo DX-C909 (MSRP $700, now $125-150 for one near mint) or something new (like an Onkyo DX-C390) but in the $150-$200 price range. The 500 or so CDs I own haven't changed a bit, but the player technology certainly has since the DX-C909 was introduced a couple of decades ago. I'm not after perfecting the CD listening experience but am wondering if this is a wash between current and old, and what I'm trading for warmth and fit with the existing equipment vs. accuracy and reliability with a new unit.

Would love some feedback. Fire away, and thanks!
Tom

If you don't need the multi-disc changer, I'd opt for the Onkyo C-7030 instead. You can get these for about $125-$145 brand new, and they are way better than the price tag suggests.
This^^^ If you do a search, you will find at least one, multiple page post answering this same question, and many recommendations for the C-7030.
I just bought one from Amazon for $145. Very simple and sounds great through my old amp. Just wish it wasn't black.

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I have had my eye on the C-7030, one reason being that there was a silver version, though they all seem to be coming from Japan and want a huge premium for them. Too much 'form over function' for me. I'll do a little more specific digging in the forum as well.

Love the Technics, killer looking!

Tom

This^^^ If you do a search, you will find at least one, multiple page post answering this same question, and many recommendations for the C-7030.
I just bought one from Amazon for $145. Very simple and sounds great through my old amp. Just wish it wasn't black.

If you don't need the multi-disc changer, I'd opt for the Onkyo C-7030 instead. You can get these for about $125-$145 brand new, and they are way better than the price tag suggests.

Thanks for the reply, will investigate!
Tom

My luck with Goodwill and eBay CD players has been pretty poor. Last week at GW, I picked up a nice Kenwood cassette player and the matching CD player (DP-1510). The cassette player worked without any work, I didn't even have to change the belt (I bought one anyway), but the CD player, like most CD players I've purchased used, just wouldn't track, it wouldn't even play a single track. I purchased a working Technics SL-P500, a very early CD player, off eBay, and that one works some of the time but struggles with many disks. I've used optical cleaners, and I clean and Deox it, but my main problem with used CD players is I just don't know how to fix them. It's always a mystery as to why one doesn't play or skips or gets stuck. So this might be one of the few times I go high-end new.

Hi all,
I've got some vintage gear I use for listening to LPs and thought it was about time to add a CD player back into the mix. My current system is:
Onkyo M-504 Amp, Onkyo P-303 Pre, Onkyo T-909 Tuner, Onkyo E-30 EQ, Denon DP-47F turntable, and
DCM Time Window speakers.

I'm on the fence about purchasing something like an older Onkyo DX-C909 (MSRP $700, now $125-150 for one near mint) or something new (like an Onkyo DX-C390) but in the $150-$200 price range. The 500 or so CDs I own haven't changed a bit, but the player technology certainly has since the DX-C909 was introduced a couple of decades ago. I'm not after perfecting the CD listening experience but am wondering if this is a wash between current and old, and what I'm trading for warmth and fit with the existing equipment vs. accuracy and reliability with a new unit.

Would love some feedback. Fire away, and thanks!
Tom
The older Onkyo CD players are built like tanks and work very well. I have a 90's DX-710, which was an entry level model and it has a wonderful build quality. Sounds pretty nice too. Those models would also match your gear.
I also love the late 80's/early 90's JVC CD players, particularly my XL-Z331 that has a digital output. Currently the CD player in my main rig (hooked up to my DAC).
Luxman CD players are nicely built, but the nicer models can get spendy.

All 3 are great at reading CDs, even some of the worst condition ones. I like older players for their thick trays and thick buttons, unlike most new models. The Onkyo and JVCs also have large displays with the track grids, which is nice.

Personally, I'd get one of those models with a digital output then either get a DAC now or add it later.

Anyway, those are the ones I've used that I would recommend.

they are a bit above low budget at $299 but the new upgraded nad 516, has a new tray setup, and has addressed any of the earlier issues with older nad cd players, i have the fiber toslink output into a dac and it is really great , ive have many low end vintage players that would have problems so i finally bought a new one, also the onkyo is a real good deal and reliable.

CD players are so, like ... '90s, eh. <G>

I trashed mine some time back and just ripped everything to the computer. One click gratification, and the only limits on playback quality is the hardware - which holds true for a stand alone player as well.

PS ... also junked the jewel boxes. My entire collection of CDs (several hundred) now reside on three 200 disk spindles. Then again, I'm not concerned wit resale or collectible value either.

** You DO need to hang on to the original media to satisfy ownership rights. Just thought I'd throw that in there. ;-}

Welcome to AK. If you don't need a universal player, There a a lot of vintage CDP' that sound great. Pick one with the famous Phillips TDA1541a dac chip, Used in many brands, Phillips/ Magnavox/ Marantz/And many others. Also, The Sonys developed there own chip, And you get battleship build quality. Check the Sony ES series. Good luck

Bob, I love the looks of that Technics receiver. Most of them don't look that nice to my eyes. What model is that?

Regarding CD players, I've had excellent luck with buying used ones at the Goodwill, etc.. I've picked up (usually for less than $20) Pioneers, Sonys, Technics, Kenwoods and even "no-name" players in single, stacked, and carousel versions, and every one of them has - and still does - function perfectly. So, I've been very lucky in that arena. The only new CD player I've purchased is a Sony SR510H, and I can't tell that it sounds any better than the twenty-year-old models I have. I've never owned a top end CD player, but everything I've read indicates that an expensive one sounds no better than a cheapo. Apparently, the extra money goes for heavy-duty transports and many, many features not found on budget models.

My only complaint is that, so far, I haven't run across a single CD player that is aluminum colored instead of boring black.

GeeDeeEmm

CD players are so, like ... '90s, eh. <G>

I trashed mine some time back and just ripped everything to the computer. One click gratification, and the only limits on playback quality is the hardware - which holds true for a stand alone player as well.

PS ... also junked the jewel boxes. My entire collection of CDs (several hundred) now reside on three 200 disk spindles. Then again, I'm not concerned wit resale or collectible value either.

** You DO need to hang on to the original media to satisfy ownership rights. Just thought I'd throw that in there. ;-}
1 click gratification "ripping" all your CDs and throwing them away is eh so like millennial and lazy. that disease will pass.

Bob, I love the looks of that Technics receiver. Most of them don't look that nice to my eyes. What model is that?
GeeDeeEmm

SA-600. Bought new in 1978. It was in the attic when we had to move last winter, so I gave it to a friend who is totally into classic stereo gear. He cleaned/fixed it up and gave it back to me this past July as a gift for our new house.

Full story here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/eastern-tn-i-really-didnt-need-another-hobby.784781/

Welcome to AK. If you don't need a universal player, There a a lot of vintage CDP' that sound great. Pick one with the famous Phillips TDA1541a dac chip, Used in many brands, Phillips/ Magnavox/ Marantz/And many others. Also, The Sonys developed there own chip, And you get battleship build quality. Check the Sony ES series. Good luck
Agree with looking for CDP's using the TDA1541...

But I'm gonna add a >caveat< to that recommendation,one should also be sure said CDP uses the Philips CDM swing-arm transport as well. ;)

The best TDA1541 chip will be useless if it's mated to a FUBAR Sony KSS transport/laser (or any other brand of transport that are obsolete).

The Philips CDM swing-arm transports are among the most reliable and longest living transports EVER made.
They read even the most gnarly discs one typically runs across and they almost never skip all while lasting loooonnnngggg lives.

There are tons of CDP's out there with the Philips TDA1541 and a Sony KSS transport,so be sure to check that as well.
The Sony lasers dont last anywhere near as long as the Philips do,and many of the KSS lasers are obsolete and thus unobtanium.
And the ones that are available are a bit hit-or-miss in many respects.

Just some food for thought.

HTH

Bret P.

Back
Top Bottom