CD Player w/ or w/o DAC

peteyglad

I am just curious to see what might be a better route. This would be for my headphone amp and headphones only. I am up for used equipment as well. My budget is $500.

Would it be better to get a cheaper CD player (say $100) and get a nice external DAC ($400 or so) to go with it or to get a CD player for $500? I know it depends on the equipment but what would yield the better results usually?

Given the great deals around on DACs just a few years old, I think you might do better going that route. I have not tried them myself, but I'm told some of the very inexpensive DVD players make decent transports.

Dac

One of the reasons to use headphone and headphone amp is the simplicity and small footprint it occupies. I would think it's better to get a good solid cd player (used) and try it. If you think the DAC can be improved (sometimes) then, you can get an external DAC. You may be able to get decent ones for $500 but it would be the low-mid end. Now for $500, you can get a real nice cd player by itself.

Yamaha CDX-XXX, and Denon DCD-2XXX or DCD-3XXX.

These all have somewhat old DAC/opamps sections but you may be happy with them, but if you desire to use ext DAC, it's easy to use since they have digital output.

I haven't used any external output myself but have heard friend's and they are GREAT, but you must have a good solid transport.

My take on this is that having a good transport helps, but it isn't the most important factor to consider.

You can get a lot of value out of a used DAC for under $300... even under $100 if you shop carefully. Allow approx $50 for a decent digital coax cable, and spend the rest on the transport of your choice.

The old Yamaha CDP's have good transports, the CDX-1110, 1120, 2020, 5000 and 5050 are said to be as good as it gets. Only problem is they them selfs are expensive and won't leave much for a DAC, spear parts are also becoming a problem.

One thing; don't go for a cheep player and an expensive DAC, the transport is important when you get into high-end gear.

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried to do a little more researching and think I will get the most CD player I can with $500. Then I might try an external DAC down the road.

I just checked on Audiogon real quick and here are some under $500

Cambridge Audio D-500
Audio Refinement CD Complete
Naim audio CD3
Linn KARIk
Rega Planet 2000
a few Creeks

And a local high end dealer has a very large used section. That will probably be my 1st stop.

I should be able to find something:D

Ive heard the rega sounds very good. something to consider is parts availability if it should need service.
The best thing you can do is sit down at your dealer and listen to what he has. Bring a few of your favorite CD`s and sit down and carefully listen
to each unit.
good luck.

I just picked up my CD player today. It is the Sony DVP-NS900V seen here in this Crutchfield website. The player is 5 years old but has seen little use.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CEjgoBEJUuf/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?readmore=true&print=Y&I=158dvpns9h

I picked it up from Craigslist with remote and manual for $90. The condition is pristine. I have played with it a bit but without my headphone amp here I have yet to do any serious listening. I will probably throw my C&C box V2 on it for now.

I need to do some critical listening before I decide DAC or no DAC at this point but I still have roughly $400 left in my budget. Assuming I am not happy with the sound, is it possibe to get a DAC and cable for this price that would better this player or should I just save up some cash for a higher quality DAC?

Back
Top Bottom