CD Players Deserve A Dedicated Category on AK

• YES

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Confusion? Why would there be two separate forums?
Well let's say tomorrow we wake up and find to our surprise there is a new forum called CD players. It is of course empty and likely to not have very much for a good while. Now someone comes along wanting to read about a certain cd player but doesn't see that there are now 2 different places to look, the place where it was and the place it is now. That is 2 forums in reading about cd players. Now I suppose that they could spend days going through all the old cd player threads and manually move them to the new forum ,but that would take too much work. But to do less would indeed be the "messy" housekeeping that you think is there now.

There are lots of reasons not to create new forums. One would be not fixing something that isn't broken.

There are actually lots places where there could be an argument for creating a new forum on AK. Take speakers, why isn't JBL there with a forum of its own? Biggest speaker company there was for decades and not a forum dedicated? What's up with that? Of course there is a good reason, it has its own forum already dedicated to Lansing speakers on another site, and I suspect it would pull people away from there to AK,and sometimes the ends don't justify the means.
Let's see what else needs it's own forum.. How about Bose? Or here's one, speaker cables and interconnects. We all use them and scarcely a day goes by when there isn't a thread started somewhere here on them. Wouldn't it be neater if we could simply pigeonhole those threads together? I think not, the home page would start to take on the look of something rather ungainly and take a long time to load and scroll through with everyone's pet forum represented.
You asked, I could go on but I won't. Doesn't matter anyway, because this site and most others are not ran by polls or concensus so quite likely a moot thing.

Now I suppose that they could spend days going through all the old cd player threads and manually move them to the new forum ,but that would take too much work. But to do less would indeed be the "messy" housekeeping that you think is there now
Actually it's not that big a deal to move threads en masse using a simple search and the admin GUI. It can also be done in fell swoops with MySQL command. Move about 30 of the most recent to the new hive and the bees will follow. 10 minutes......Deed done.

Doesn't matter anyway, because this site and most others are not ran by polls or concensus so quite likely a moot thing.
You'd be suprized with the power of suggestion. Two cases in point-- Game threads got a nice and cozy home as well as Streaming Services. :)

Actually it's not that big a deal to move threads en masse using a simple search and the admin GUI. It can also be done in fell swoops with MySQL command. Move about 30 of the most recent to the new hive and the bees will follow. 10 minutes......Deed done.
So obviously I don't have the computer chops that you have. Still would be a marvel to me to see the search parameters to go into 15+ years of threads and weed out all the ones that are about cd players and not about something similar such as DAC threads where the DAC out of a player is mentioned. I'm thinking it may be more to it than you realize to make it a few keystrokes and hit enter get a neat orderly thread transfer. Sure a lot of threads would come up, but how many would be about cd players and how many wouldn't?

I see the no votes are slightly ahead, but with only 23 votes it doesn't seem thus far like many care one way or the other. This doesn't surprise me. While I like the cd format as a way to buy new music, I don't see the need for a cd player for them other than the cheap one in my pc to extract the data off the plastic disc and onto my HD in flac format. To me, while the cd still is relevant, the players are mostly obsolete, even my teac reel to reel, which I also consider obsolete is at least fun to watch it play!

We obviously need a "Let's Have One More Poll About Adding a Forum, OK?" forum. The moderators are thinking, "Oh boy, one more forum we have to moderate! Yay!"

I said no, but if they wanted a sub-forum just to get the occasional post about them out of the way, I wouldn't complain.:D I prefer universal players and I don't think we need a forum for them, either. Though, threads on that subject are all over the place (digital, home theater, general, etc) , which makes a dedicated forum more useful. However, I would rarely ever visit that type of forum, if at all.

I voted "No". While I'm not anti-CD, I just don't believe there's enough discussion on these forums to warrant a whole other CD dedicated forum. "Turntables" is all about vinyl (turntables, records, cartridges, phono preamps, record cleaning...the list goes on). I think "Digital Sources" is enough to cover the two main components of digita discussion: CD players and DACs

I voted "No". While I'm not anti-CD, I just don't believe there's enough discussion on these forums to warrant a whole other CD dedicated forum. "Turntables" is all about vinyl (turntables, records, cartridges, phono preamps, record cleaning...the list goes on). I think "Digital Sources" is enough to cover the two main components of digita discussion: CD players and DACs
why a separate forum for DACs???

why a separate forum for DACs???
I think it has its own forum because it is not explicitly a source. Its main job is to accept a source(s) and convert it. It isn't a very popular forum, but I think that putting it in with "Digital Sources" like SACD, CD, etc.. wouldn't really be the right place for it either.

The fact is that there are probably dozens of forums that could be created based on topics frequently discussed as well as all the various equipment we use. The list is already quite long, especially for someone new to AK, as the list grows it becomes less certain where a new thread belongs.

A short while ago a member petitioned to get the Kenwood forum here to be renamed to include Kensonic and Accuphase. Being a Kenwood owner I wrote to support that because the history of these companies are linked. They changed the name and that I think was a good move but it does create yet another problem for those in the future who are searching for Accuphase archived threads now will have to search in one more forum. At least no new forum was created however which wouldn't have been good.

I'm sorry but the world outside of vinyl enthusiasts thought that vinyl and turntables were for fanatics that can't let go. The normal people out there thought that vinyl was dead and gone and that selfish nuts that had to spend loads of money selfishly on themselves buying stereo equipment were the only ones that cared. Most of us, not all suffered some kind of silent ridicule showing disapproval for our misappropriation of our personal funds as if we were adolescent adults. Then by shear stubbornness our opinions were heard from online stereo reviews that caused a snow ball effect. The vinyl technology was supposed to be gone along time ago and we all said......HELL NO, that it would be a cold day in hell before we let go. Young people in other countries noticed our dedication and got a taste and were hooked one right after another until vinyl has become a phenomenon. So, why can't we treat CD players and CD's the same way. In fact new technology has made CD's and CD Players sooooo much better. Collecting rare editions of better recorded CD's is gaining interest among those that enjoy owning the better CD Players. Yes, everyone knows that early CD's and their players don't sound very well and technology has changed that. But most importantly, why does there have to be a popular consensus on a particular medium. I also love cassettes and Pioneer dual well cassette decks built in the nineties.....why can't we have a dedicated section for cassettes and their players, because people have to have something to look down their noses at ???? It's just an audio medium that people enjoy and not a social definition for what we must approve of or disapprove of. Myself personally, I am not interested in digital set ups or streaming and I don't see the need to keep up with the Jones and I'm not the only one. Just maybe a CD player could be modded to sound better than a digital setup....who knows, and for the same reason people started modding turntables. But just like cassettes and vinyl, CD's aren't going anywhere. In fact original CD releases of good quality will become sheik due to their scarcity as will the last produced CD players become vogue. So, I think that there should be a separate category for CD's and CD Players because CD PLAYERS and Digital setups are of two different worlds.

Last edited:
No, I don't think that cd drives need their own section here. Digital sources are and have been working fine up to now. Break it up into its own section and then there will be confusion from those posting as well as those researching for information, who will suddenly have to look on 2 separate forums, digital sources (which fits cd players ) and the new cd player forum.

Many people seem to be having enough trouble posting in the right forum without yet more choices.

Yah...

But some of us don't want to weed through the digital jungle just to occasionally read something about CD Players. So many people into digital don't consider CD's to be even a viable source anymore. Then what, the CD slips away just like the cassette did ??

Just for the record (pun intended) CD's and CD players are in fact 'digital.'
Exactly, they are a digital source like minidisc player, SACD player, universal disc player, etc. We don't need a new forum for every digital source. It just leads to confusion unless they want to devote this section to only streaming and put together a separate section for hard mediums rather than over the air stuff...but I am sure someone one will say they hook a drive directly to their media streamer, so which section does it go in? Too much overlap. I have a DVD player that can play CDs, DVDs, and also stream from the network. Does it go into home theater, the new hard medium section, or the digital server section?

Keep It Simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom