CD players with variable output

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by etsuHoopsFan, Feb 7, 2018.

1. etsuHoopsFan

etsuHoopsFan New Member

I have an older, non remote controlled Cambridge Audio integrated amp that I like fine, and don't want to replace. I also have an older Sony CD player that is remote controlled but has fixed outputs. Since this system is in my home office, and only used to listen to my CD collection, I really need some way to control the volume of a CD player. Anybody have any suggestions on CD player makes/models that you are familiar with that the output can be controlled by its remote? Also, a lot of my CDs are CDRs so I need it to be able to read those too. Over 20 years ago I had a NAD 5300 that had variable outputs controlled by the remote, but I am doubting it read CDRs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

Sony CDP-597 from the 90's has a fixed and variable output that is also remote controlled. I have one and it sounds pretty good considering DAC technology when it was made.

3. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

4. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

A lot of older Yamaha CD players are variable output and remote controlled. The gain is electronically controlled so the precision is not great. Sony variable output is much better. Most ES will have variable output. Some non-ES like the CDP-970 are more affordable. Honorable mention to Adcom GCD-575 but the variable output is not remote controlled.

5. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

The last 4 generations of Oppo players have variable output. And, play SACDs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Many Sony ES players had variable out controlled by the remote.

John

Nautiker likes this.
  7. Dswankey

Dswankey Super Member

I have a Denon DCD 1500 w/remote control

8. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

My first 'real' cd player was a Sony, I think it was a CDP-770. It had that variable output thing going.
    It was a solid player. It ended up as my garage player for a few years, and even when it was -25c it still played.
    From what I recall it did well with CDRs as well. I think the only ones it had an issue with were those ones with the black reflective layer.

9. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

Great point.

10. KevinJS

KevinJS Addicted Member

Technics SL-P 1200 had variable output, but I'm quite sure the output level could not be controlled by the remote.

11. etsuHoopsFan

etsuHoopsFan New Member

12. etsuHoopsFan

etsuHoopsFan New Member

Thanks to all. Probably looking to stay Sony since I am happy with my current older Sony player, just no way to remotely control the volume with my current setup.