Cds trying to think of a reason.

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by vintage 5.0, May 4, 2018.

1. moviemusic

moviemusic AK Subscriber Subscriber

I still buy CDs whenever and wherever possible (and get really POed when the album I want is only available via MP3, which seems to be happening more and more often) and then rip them for use on the computer/Ipod. For me it's an ownership thing--I want to own my music, not 'license' it from some streaming service/Amazon/Itunes/RIAA, and be able to lend, borrow, and resell it as I like. I've been around long enough to see a lot of so-called big companies come and go on the internet--I'm not going to trust any company will still be around 30-50 years from now, or will support my music collection that long. And I have backups of my backups--but again, I prefer to have a physical archival copy, just in case.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Spitfirejoe

Spitfirejoe Cheap Audio Aficionado Subscriber

Johnno_Oz likes this.
  3. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

I have over eight thousand or so CD's no how no way will i rip that many..
    Besides it's like an LP thing pull out the cover and drop the disc in and read the info.
    Miss Album info made the listening more enjoyable IMO.

guiller likes this.
  4. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Active Member

That would be an undertaking. Although I have 5,514 albums ripped (so MusicBee tells me)...

Here's a thought, though. When you play a CD, why not rip it whilst you have it out of your store? Or rip it first, then play the ripped version? Certainly, rip new purchases. It takes a couple of minutes these days.

And you can read band profiles, get lyrics, see other albums by the band, both in your ripped collection, and that they've ever released, find similar bands, etc, etc...

E-Stat and awillia6 like this.
  5. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

I guess i don't mind getting up and swapping a CD after the first one is finished.
    I just am that way call it nostalgia or reverse lazy.
    I did the Album digital conversion years ago i know that's a PITA but fun at the time.
    I still use my SONY RCD-W500C recorder from time to time, been collecting spools of Music Recordable discs from thrift stores when i find them.
    I have been ripping CD's on a Terabyte external drive for the last year before transferring tracks to my MP3.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    awillia6 likes this.
  6. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Since I am now "invested" in a Bel Canto digital front end - a DAC 3.3VB - I was offered a Bel Canto CD2 at a good price by a nice AK'er here (thanks @liteagilis !) So it made sense to take him up on that offer. So...listening to it now, going through the DAC...very nice. I think I'll be more inclined to play my CD's again! I was just playing them in the car, but I'm enjoying them spinning in the Bel Canto. I think streaming may sound just a bit better than the CD player, but it sounds very nice, and it's kinda cool to watch a CD spin in this top-loading player. It's also nice only needing to get up half as often as I do when listening through my turntable.

So CD's aren't dead to me yet.

My streaming set-up will be the next thing that needs my attention, but that may be a year or two...I've spent a lot of money on my stereo already this year (replaced amp, DAC, CD player...not to mention the TV...added expensive super tweeters...and bought a new guitar...yeah I'm done for now, lol).

Please register to disable this ad.