CD's...will they stick around?

I think that CD’s will be sold online and people will be burning them for decades to come. My Onkyo C-7030 plays flac, Wav and studio recordings and the sound is stupendous....so burning a disc and popping it into a player will always be an option even if they completely stop selling recorded CD’s.

And, today, Best Buy is emptying their store of CDs. No more sales there. I started out with vinyl, but really love digital. FLAC and Wave.

I agree with this view in concept, although I do appreciate that CDs retain at least some degree of artwork (usually). Audio files to me are like having a vinyl record in a generic (or no) cover.
Don't know about you, but I view album covers for all my server based music. :)

ipeng2.jpg

ipeng1.jpg

CDs are already highly collectible with many of the early and rare releases commanding many hundreds of dollars each.

Many early Japan and West Germany pressed CDs have hit those prices already. The CD is the first physical medium to which I can buy the very first title ever released.

I hear you but honestly... as far as the music 'industry' is concerned, it's a losing battle so long as there are competent recording devices commonly available that accept an analogue signal input... and digital recorders abound.

Be interesting to know how many CDs are technically legal anymore based on RIAA's standards ... only way true ownership of the physical media applies is if it's guaranteed that the original owner no longer has any copies and never distributed it in any way, shape, or form.

NEWS FLASH!!! Best Buy to STOP selling CDs by July 1st, 2018. Target stores will also stop this year.

Don't know about you, but I view album covers for all my server based music. :)

ipeng2.jpg

ipeng1.jpg

And the music is always with the correct covers, and I never use these covers for coasters etc.

Only downside to CDs going away is that the cases were better than cassettes for scraping the frost off my car windows.

Sure, the covers display on the screen, but they're tiny postage stamps where you can't read anything.
You must reading my post with a teeny tiny screen. Those iPad screen caps (used as my controller) are 9.4" x 6.6" and show full size on my monitor.

Never seen a sixty-two square inch postage stamp before. :)

Sure, the covers display on the screen, but they're tiny postage stamps where you can't read anything.

That is why I like ROON Audio, full images, artist profiles, album credits, record reviews, who this artist influenced and who was influenced by this artist etc.

A bit more info that a CD jacket.

:smoke:

XUkidS9.png

That is why I like ROON Audio, full images, artist profiles, album credits, record reviews, who this artist influenced and who was influenced by this artist etc.
And you can add that capability to any number of streamers/end points like the microRendu and RPI/piCorePlayer I use.

Just gotta pony up $120/year for their rich metadata.

I heard last week the Sony plant I worked at for 8 years just let go over 350 employees and have stopped producing CDs. When I worked there we had closed our Pitman plant and moved their CD lines to Terre Haute IN. We had one building dedicated to CDs. All lines have now been shut down. The closing of the CD line wasn't reported by the paper (Sony was always very quiet about layoffs). I was told by an ex-coworker, so believe it's true, but can't verify.

And you can add that capability to any number of streamers/end points like the microRendu and RPI/piCorePlayer I use.

I took a gamble and went full in when they were starting out. I think the lifetime (?) subscription was 20% discounted at the time.

I have a PS Audio Bridge and two microRendu's in my systems.

And my buddies called me lazy when I decided vinyl was not for me.

I took a gamble and went full in when they were starting out. I think the lifetime (?) subscription was 20% discounted at the time.

I have a PS Audio Bridge and two microRendu's in my systems.

And my buddies called me lazy when I decided vinyl was not for me.

How is Roon with liner notes?
A few examples; the Dylan Bootleg Series releases, Tom Petty's Playback box, etc, have really great booklets. The Chess Boxes have great notes, especially with regards to who is playing on each track. Does Roon offer up those booklets?

Count me in on digging through them to. Whats not to like? I'm up to several hundred and climbing. I rarely pay more than a buck each.

BillWojo

How is Roon with liner notes?
A few examples; the Dylan Bootleg Series releases, Tom Petty's Playback box, etc, have really great booklets. The Chess Boxes have great notes, especially with regards to who is playing on each track. Does Roon offer up those booklets?

No, that is one drawback, esp if you are looking for the songs specific info. They are talking about ways to try to do more of this but I believe it is dependent on having an accurate database to draw from.

Back
Top Bottom