CD's...will they stick around?

I agree with this view in concept, although I do appreciate that CDs retain at least some degree of artwork (usually). Audio files to me are like having a vinyl record in a generic (or no) cover.

Indeed - right now - CDs (and SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray Audio) are a good compromise between convenience and well, packaging - as won't tell my story again, as I told it elsewhere in the site, but, tldr, I am falling in love again with the format - coming of age in the late 80s and 90s, amassed a huge collection and due that I want my tags to be perfect ( I even re-tag my hires download buys), ripping was taking forever - got a CD player first, after many years of not having one then a universal player - Tell you the truth cannot be happier - I am actually listening to music instead of ripping/tagging - enjoy the liner notes, and yes the convenience if not having to transfer to the computer or do the vinyl ritual... and as a great bonus, a lot of great sounding SACDs from Analogue Productions, Mo-Fi, and Bluy-Ray audios from Universal, not to mention some great bargains from Berkshire... how long will this last? it does worry me -

Well if it ends, I do have a sweet computer based setup. That said, right now is my last preference behind SACD/Blu-Ray Audio, CD, and Vinyl....

v

Don't know about you, but I view album covers for all my server based music. :)

ipeng2.jpg

ipeng1.jpg

Not enough - however I think a pdf of the full liner notes is a good compromise - why the f*ck the companies won't included them with downloads it beyond me - although to be fair I also wonder why the f*ck the music playing software (JRiver, etc) out there don't have a mechanism to detect if there are pdfs in the album directory and display them attractively... I would prefer that to Roon's approach of getting stuff from the internet about the artist and/or album...

v

I still enjoy my CD’s, records and even a few cassettes.

CD’s are great for the car but now cars have the world of music at your command so we no longer need to deal with all of the hastles with taking CD’s in the car, losing them, scratching them, where’s the case etc.

(I still do that)

This also happens in the home music listening environment, losing the case, where’s the CD that I’m looking for.

Physical media continues to be collected by the collectors until they also pass and then “The Source” which surpasses the sound of all these mediums will become the new norm.

The record stands the best chance of survival because of the art and novelty.

It’s still a mystery as to how that little needle rides on a disc and creates beautiful and unique sound and so people will continue to want records.

CD’s are becoming worthless but not to some of us who won’t let go because we have so many of them.

Then we die and leave the people sorting out our worldly possessions wandering what to do with them and why we had so many.

I'm thinking that if you want to buy a CD, the day will come when you can't buy them at the stores anymore and they are custom burnt like Amazon does with a lot of its on demand R DVD movie media.

What do you think?

The Cd is no different than the cassette. Time has passed it by.

The Cd is no different than the cassette. Time has passed it by.

Time may be passing by the CD, but it has an advantage over cassette in that people are still buying computers and BluRay players that can rip and play CDs. The 5 inch (12cm) disc is still a standard for media players, which remain backwards compatible with old redbook CDs, and I don't see that changing soon. The average consumer buying a $1 used CD at a thrift will continue to have the hardware to listen to it, unlike an LP or cassette tape.

Time may be passing by the CD, but it has an advantage over cassette in that people are still buying computers and BluRay players that can rip and play CDs. The 5 inch (12cm) disc is still a standard for media players, which remain backwards compatible with old redbook CDs, and I don't see that changing soon. The average consumer buying a $1 used CD at a thrift will continue to have the hardware to listen to it, unlike an LP or cassette tape.

Isn't that what they said about vinyl?

LP's are much more sensory pleasing, there is a pageantry, a romance to them.

The artwork, the care taking, the attention and effort they require.

And let's not forget, they are analog which offers a point of distinction. With all this going for them they are still just a niche.

The CD is digital and frankly better digital is available in downloads. So then why CD?

I see the CD going the way of the reel to reel, 8 track, cassette as it is not an alternative to digital, it is not an enhanced environment for art work and it offers no pageantry as with a turntable, the needle drop, flipping the thing, the cleaning....

I promise you, the CD is dead.

584ecd561800002c00e4228e.jpeg

And, today, Best Buy is emptying their store of CDs. No more sales there. I started out with vinyl, but really love digital. FLAC and Wave.
1.Best Buy never had a broad selection...
2.They make more profit on dishwashers...so, cd bins took a valuable display space on the floor..
3.Same here...but I am heavy into SACD (classical)...still need to open the box, pull out the booklet, read it, check out pictures, how, when, who...recorded it etc etc..
4.When I listen to my flacs off usb...sometimes I get a similar feeling like listening to some Muzak in an elevator...a bit detached

No, that is one drawback, esp if you are looking for the songs specific info. They are talking about ways to try to do more of this but I believe it is dependent on having an accurate database to draw from.
That's unfortunate. And I'm not singling out Roon here.
Stripping away full liner notes in this day and age, tech-wise, seems silly to me. It takes up almost no data space(assuming non crazy rez sizes), and is a part of the listening experience. Especially with historical or legacy recordings.
If I can fire up a scanner why can't the music industry? ;) Or better yet, why don't they have this stuff digitized already somewhere?

Not enough - however I think a pdf of the full liner notes is a good compromise - why the f*ck the companies won't included them with downloads it beyond me - although to be fair I also wonder why the f*ck the music playing software (JRiver, etc) out there don't have a mechanism to detect if there are pdfs in the album directory and display them attractively... I would prefer that to Roon's approach of getting stuff from the internet about the artist and/or album...

v
I do a lot of FLAC listening with an ios app called FileBrowser. Because it looks for files/folders the artwork folders show up, and I can view them on a smart device while listening.
I'm with you, I'm confused as to why the 'proper' music players, streamers, etc can't get on top of this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom