CD's...will they stick around?

What do you think?

For the moment I don't think too much about a gloomy future regarding the availability of CDs. What would the point of worrying about something that escapes my control? I just enjoy buying CDs and new LPs at least once a week, in wonderful stores like this one:

libreria-ateneo.jpg

After the shopping, I reward myself with a nice espresso or capuccino. Life goes fast and it's better to enjoy every little moment of relax and pleasure available!

Downloading files from my computer at home does bring me the same amount of satisfaction!

Last edited:
Stay on TOPIC people!!
I can come in and LOCK DOWN all this Drama but I'd prefer giving you the chance
to model ADULT behavior and not attack each other further ...
Name calling will not allowed from ANYONE!!

I deleted specific posts that seem designed to be inflammatory
so the larger discussion may continue.

Be kind, people!

Last edited:
For the moment I don't think too much about a gloomy future regarding the availability of CDs. What would the point of worrying about something that escapes my control? I just enjoy buying CDs and new LPs at least once a week, in wonderful stores like this one:

libreria-ateneo.jpg

After the shopping, I reward myself with a nice espresso or capuccino. Life goes fast and it's better to enjoy every little moment of relax and pleasure available!

Downloading files from my computer at home does bring me the same amount of satisfaction!

Holy crap! Where is that ? :D

Buenos Aires? I wish we had as nice as store here in Los Angeles - Lucky! :D

v

Back in the days when Borders Bookstores were still a thing, we had one near DC that looked like that -
and for the life of me, I can't remember which location it was!!
What a gorgeous store that is!

libreria-ateneo.jpg

Back in the days when Borders Bookstores were still a thing, we had one near DC that looked like that -
and for the life of me, I can't remember which location it was!!
What a gorgeous store that is!

There used to be a very nice Borders in the Carousel Mall in Syracuse, NY. It was blighted as part of a mall expansion, then closed with all the others.

I loved the Borders in East Brunswick/South River New Jersey. And, the Tower records on Rt 17 in Paramus, or thereabouts

Sad that I know of no new CD that I want to purchase.
Older, Yes.
Never thought I would miss the recording companies of old that pushed artist to produce.

Sad that I know of no new CD that I want to purchase.
Older, Yes.
Never thought I would miss the recording companies of old that pushed artist to produce.

What kind of music are you into? I’m still finding a decent amount of new CDs that interest me.

I believe they’ll stick around. Yes plants will consolidate to meet the new lower demand, but something like 50m CD’s sold last year (in the US) and that doesn’t count used. It’s enough to keep the product alive.
(Side note, album sales in general no matter the format seemed to be suffering in ‘17)
(Side side note, reporting statistics aren’t all similar, Statista and Billboard have different figures.)

Still my favorite format and I don't see that changing. There is something to be said about gazing over my racks of cd before I determine what I will listen to. Although I don't buy as many cds as I once did, I bet I bought 75 last year. Hopefully they will continue to be made and as people dump their collections, I will continue to be a buyer.

What kind of music are you into? I’m still finding a decent amount of new CDs that interest me.
Rock and Alternative Rock that ran from the late 90's til.... very little that I encounter now.
Examples: Framing Hanley, Verve Pipe, Hoobastank, Jimmy Eat World.
Still love Pink Floyd, Cars, etc.
That era seems dead.

Rock and Alternative Rock that ran from the late 90's til.... very little that I encounter now.
Examples: Framing Hanley, Verve Pipe, Hoobastank, Jimmy Eat World.
Still love Pink Floyd, Cars, etc.
That era seems dead.

My alternative rock roots run a little deeper, back into the 80s. Last year I bought newly released CDs by Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek of the Red House Painters), The Residents, Nine Inch Nails, Swans, Julian Cope, J.G. Thirlwell (Foetus), The Fall, Brix & The Extricated (several former members of The Fall), Marc Almond (Soft Cell), Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Depeche Mode and New Order. That isn't counting anything I bought on vinyl, nor any more recent bands like The Mountain Goats, Xiu Xiu or Iron & Wine which I also like and purchased.

Yes your roots run deeper.
My alternative rock roots run a little deeper, back into the 80s. Last year I bought newly released CDs by Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek of the Red House Painters), The Residents, Nine Inch Nails, Swans, Julian Cope, J.G. Thirlwell (Foetus), The Fall, Brix & The Extricated (several former members of The Fall), Marc Almond (Soft Cell), Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Depeche Mode and New Order. That isn't counting anything I bought on vinyl, nor any more recent bands like The Mountain Goats, Xiu Xiu or Iron & Wine which I also like and purchased.
Failure, Fantastic Planet, started me down the alternative rock road in the 90's.
Remember hearing it on the distant Gaineville Fl station around midnight just before work. Got me started.

I don't really see CDs going the way of 8-track or cassette tapes demise, but major advances have come along the way of compressed files via flash drives. You can store many albums and thousands of songs on a single flash drive, and enjoy the convenience of carrying the flash drive anywhere, without the cumbersome storage of cds.

However, the record industry I believe is at a cross roads (some of it as a result of the industry's own doing, change in music taste, society's changes, etc.). I can understand that the industry will want to control the amount of bootleg of music, which has been made very easy with streaming, ripping cds, etc.

In terms of sound, compressed (lossless) files are respectably good with sound quality. I still feel that the CD has the best sound quality (on average), with vinyl and oxide tapes still holding a strong hold on certain types of sound quality.

I hope people keep ditching there cd's at Goodwills and such. I scored 8 new sealed Deep Purple CD's for 1.99 each, one which is collectible and expensive. I opened it and played it anyway because that is what they are for. Picked up a couple early pressing Pink Floyd's, Aqualung by Tull late 80's and a Moody Blues DOFP 1988 west German pressing. Picked these all up in the span of a couple weeks at local GW's, I am having a blast buying up these disc for next to nothing. Down the road some will lament about the cd experience of taking the disc out opening and placing the disc in the drawer, And then wait for it to load and press the play button. Seems to me it will mirror the now vinyl experience. but hey it's about the music and sound and if your into down loading that is just fine and just another delivery method to get to the music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom