CDX-1100U - disc read issue

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by ichorid55, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ichorid55

ichorid55 New Member

Hi all, this is my first post here. I recently acquired my 1100U from a family friend, it plays nicely but only with certain discs. Initially thought it only liked “older” discs, like early 90s, but that has proven to be false. My latest copy of Led Zeppelin II remaster from 2015 works flawlessly. After some research I found that the laser might be looking for the first stripe of data in the wrong place, for some discs and not others. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I was told it’s simply the laser is bad, however on some discs it does play flawlessly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Dr. Ear

Dr. Ear Well-Known Member

Did you already clean the laser lens? To do a good cleaning you have to remove the cover and clean the lens’s with a Q-tip and some gentle cleaning fluid. If this does not help the laser is kaputt.

3. ichorid55

ichorid55 New Member

Yes it has been cleaned but most likely years ago. Many of the laser components were tinkered with so I was just looking for an excuse to avoid replacing it. Are replacements even available?

4. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

I have a Yam CDX 1110 and had similar problems. A tech was able to do some adjustment to the laser or so he said (a few years ago) and its been playing perfectly since then. He told me it cannot be adjusted any more so if it goes again its overs as the laser is not available any longer. Maybe take it to a Yamaha knowledgeable tech for a once over

5. timblade68

timblade68 Active Member

Just fixed a 2d tracking issue (months apart) on my Yamaha cdx1030, both times related to bad solders on the mainboard. 1st time - transistor solders - 2d time - pin connector solders. It may be your root cause too.

6. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

Yes, it could be the laser, but it is usually not the case.

Has your unit been serviced for anything other than lens cleaning?

7. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Please refer to Dr*Audio's thread about fixing cd players.

I have that magnificent beast. Usually, cleaning and relubing the sled, wiping the lens with a dry q-tip will fix most issues. Also, I have found that if you burn a cd, PLEASE burn at the slowest rate possible. Seems to correct the issue of not playing them.

8. 808_state

808_state Active Member

9. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

Refix a CD player via internet is not possible

10. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Quoi?