Ceiling absorbsion

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by asilker, Jan 21, 2018.

1. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

We are closing on a condo next month and the wheels are already turning here.

My living room will also be the listening space. Speaker placement will accommodate actual living space and won't be pulled into the room.

I'd like to do some absorbsion. We will have curtains on the windows and a rug on the floor but I do not want to put any panels on the walls and disrupt the look of the room. However, the room does not have a ceiling fan so I can drop mount absorbsion panels.

So far my plan is to use large sheets of 2" Owens Corning 703 as broadband absorbers.

Has anyone used 703 from the ceiling? Any pre-made panels you might recommend?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I saw a recent thread or two on panels. With recommendations. Have you done AK searches.

3. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

Yes, I've done searches and found things on 703 and other ideas. I have also used rock wool in the past.

I'm just wondering specifically about ceiling treatment, but maybe that's too specific

4. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

Watching this thread with interest, as I'm in the same position - new condo, living room as listening space, window curtains and rug. This looks as if we'll be here for at least several years, so trying to get the best room treatment advice I can "seamlessly" work into the design plan as possible.

5. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

A listening room at University Audio store in Madison, WI has a wood diffuser hanging down from a tall ceiling, in middle of room. I have no connection. Stuff in that room sounds pretty good. How much is room?
    No direct listening of these ceiling treatments. Have seen AK members post pics of rugs and panels on ceilings.
    Back in the 70's, a friend who worked at a carpet store, used guess what, on the walls of his audio, living room.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. bonzo4ever!

bonzo4ever! Member

Read a story about a craigslist, used cubicle type design,, Probably not the right application but modifiable.

Please register to disable this ad.