celestion dl4 vs boston acoustics HD7

amiti

I have been looking for small speakers and found recently two offers at the same price of 70$ :Celestion dl4 (first generation with polymer dome tweeter) and Boston Acoustics HD7. I listened to both and coulodn't decide which is better.

One of the foams of the HD7 was loosen causing adding flapping sound to the bass.
Is it easy to glue back myself the loosen foam of the HD7?

Thank you,
Amit

Celestion for me...

I bought a set of DL4 new in the late 80s. They were a great speaker for their size. I've owner many different BA models and I think the celestion are better built and of slightly higher overall quality. IIRC the DL series all used a great tweeter too.
Personally my choice would be the celestion. boston are also quite plentiful so there would be no problem getting a set at a later date.

If your DL4 is from the late 80s then it probably has the titanium tweeter which have a different sound than the previous polymer one.

When listening to the Dl4 they sounded well balanced but the highs weren't as natural as the Bostons'. They sounded a little mellow...

The boston's had sharper highs and punchier bass but I it was auditioned in an open garage - not the ideal place . The foam issue is also prevented me from hearing their full potential.

I am going to use a sonic impact t-amp with them. The bostons are rated at 90db sensitivity while the dl4 rated as 89db . On paper the bostons are better suited but the dl4 sounded easier to move (maybe because of the different methods - one in bass reflex , the other is suspension )

I'd go for the Celestions but I like the 'british sound'. The Bostons are attractive little speakers as well, you can't really go wrong.

Don't know the Boston's, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Celestions. I swapped them because I wanted something that would go deeper, but they were one of the best balanced loudspeakers I've owned, especially considering their size.

Are you talking about the DL with the plastic dome?

Yes , they sound rich but their highs are a little anaemic/flat. Is this how they suppose to sound?

amiti
I do not about the Celestions woofer sizes but I do know that the HD7 have a odd size surounds on their woofer. I gave up trying to get replacements and just used the box for other drivers. The HD7 surrounds' will go bad sooner or later and with my experience they will be done at that point. I have Celestions built in the "70's that still have good surounds. YMMV
Borus

As I couldn't decide I took them both :)

The Celestion is clearly of higher quality both in built and sound although its bass is lacking. I had to give it back though because one of the speakers wasn't perfect and sounded a bit hollow.

Thanks for all the help.

:)

It is the word that came up to mind mind to describe it. The mids were missing...

I think the cone was damaged but I am not an expert.

Back
Top Bottom