Center channel vs. center speaker connection for subs on Fisher tube amps

alextg89

AK Member
I'm trying to chose a new receiver or integrated amp. I like to run a sub-woofer, I've seen that a lot of the integrated amps and receivers have a "center channel" but some (like the 500c) has a "center speaker" connection.

I've used the center channel on my mx110, it seemed to work fine. Is one option better than the other for some reason?

Both approaches provide a "sum" signal so that the speaker ultimately connected will reproduce the sound appearing in both channels. The center channel approach is advantageous when using an external amplifier to drive the center speaker (or active sub), as the output is of low impedance, and references ground on the low side of the connection. It cannot directly drive a speaker. A center speaker connection can directly drive a speaker, however, both connections operate above ground level. In some scenarios, that can cause problems with shorts and/or ground loops if used to drive anything other than a passive speaker system. Both of these types of outputs are controlled by the master volume control of the Fisher.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom