Certainly not a score, maybe not even a good deal, but I wanted them...

FoolForARadio

So I got them. From the guy who bought them new in 1961. Now to figure out what I've got and what they need. I've done a little work on Magnavox amps, but I probably need to send these to a good Fisher man. Unfortunately, they smell like smoke, so that's got to be dealt with.

Attachments

• DSC_0793.jpg
    DSC_0793.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0796.jpg
    DSC_0796.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0801.jpg
    DSC_0801.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 83
The smoke will filter out after a while. Washing the chassis helps. See the stickies at the top of this forum and the tube forum for cleanup info.

Thanks. Here are the insides. Looks almost manageable, but I'm not going to do it. Haven't even plugged them in and I don't intend to. This is certainly the nicest stuff I have ever come across and it deserves some expertise.

I think it is so cool that they have bespoke power plugs!

Attachments

• DSC_0804.jpg
    DSC_0804.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0807.jpg
    DSC_0807.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0808.jpg
    DSC_0808.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0810.jpg
    DSC_0810.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 74
X-100 huh?

Is that a plain old X-100 or is it a newer version?

Mine is across town with my tube pro buddy since the one I bought was so F'ed up with some clown replacing the rectifier with a full wave diode rectifier wired across the rectifier socket and a number of other choice hacks underneath.

He saw it, fiddled with it for a few minutes, and then offered to put it back to stock or better for me. How could I refuse that offer?

The rub is that neither it nor he is on any certain time schedule, so who knows when I will see it again. Not having to work for a living has it's advantages I suppose.

I don't really mind as long as I have his 300B monoblocks held hostage. When I do get it back, we can go over the circuit to see what he came up with.

In the meantime, I would make sure that the PT and OPT's measure within spec. The PT especially is known to be a weak link in this piece....:thumbsdn:

IIRC, the schematic has DCR's listed for all the iron....:thmbsp:

PS: if you don't have the schematic, let me know, and I'll e-mail them to you....

Dude, those are two sweet pieces of American Audio History, sonically well worth bringing back to life.

You will definitely be rewarded for your efforts, sonically vintage Fisher tube audio sounds amazing.

Did you happen to get the wooden cases for them as well?

They add that extra something, visually.

Cheers

Lot of room inside for working compared to other fisher models. As a 7189 person you will love the sound of your amp get that baby on the bench checked out and playing music again.

It appears that the power transformer on the amplifier has already been replaced, so at least that is one part you won't have to worry about!

Dave

..but I wanted them..

If you wanted them and got them is all that really matters.

Those are two wonderful pieces.

I would still label it a score and deal since they are now in your pocession.

Enjoy them!

:thmbsp:

Good eyes, dcgillespie. I am sending them in to the experts; I've got the tuner packed and the amp is next. Expensive, but I'll know they are as good as they can be when I get them back.

Since you're only missing one bright, it would be worth the effort to track down one more original with the indented mark. The only ones I see being sold now are the 400/500C/800C style with a black line on the front instead of an indentation.

As far as getting rid of the smell goes, wash the chassis with the water/ammonia mixture you can find here for cleaning old electronics. Rebuilding those really wouldn't be that hard, just be careful and make sure you put things back where they should be.

Nothing wrong with sending them off to reputable tech! :thmbsp:

That's what I did with my first Fisher, an 800B receiver. Now I've realized how truly simple it is to do it myself, but it was nice to have that first unit professionally rebuilt to look at and learn from.

Also, once you have a nice 100% rebuilt system you're always in good shape for tunes no matter how many projects you have sitting in the queue! :yes:

-Kory

Back
Top Bottom