Cerwin Vega D9 your thoughts on value?

Yep, 2 pair of big CV's do take up some real estate. Actually had 3 pair here for awhile. Wife factor is very low. But sound for rock type music is great.
I don't listen to other categories if I have a choice. Actually listening to Alan Parson's project currently on my CV VS-150's.
Don't have to play loud to enjoy. Great full sound. JMO, many differ. (Of course many who differ have not tried, armchair quarterbacks) :)
So how did you manage three pair and how many do you have now?Here's a picture of one of my listening areas.As you can see I am two deep in speakers and it is front of my main system.When you want to add two sets of D9s(they'll go on the other side of the room)you need to make quite an adjustment.

Attachments

• 3.31.18 003.jpg
    3.31.18 003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 60
So how did you manage three pair and how many do you have now?Here's a picture of one of my listening areas.As you can see I am two deep in speakers and it is front of my main system.When you want to add two sets of D9s(they'll go on the other side of the room)you need to make quite an adjustment.

Had 3 pair, breaks my heart to this day but I parted the RE-38's which were missing grills and were the roughest. Space and wife, you make concessions.
My primary are VS-150's on that famous Luxman that you know of. (R-117) Speakers are serial #'s 06 and 07. Kinda fun to have these in low #'s.
Found a second pair of VS-150's for 100, and that was when I parted the RE-38's. Still bothers me....
I have a 3rd bedroom where I store my extra speakers. And receivers, and other audio gear. Do like how yours are set up.
Only had 2 pair of CV's (RE-38's and VS-150's) hooked on the same amp for about 2 weeks, what a wonderful, almost concert sound. Closed my eyes and you would think the stage was right in front of you. Of course wife......:)

Firstly if your a CV hater please don't comment.I'm asking value not performance opinions.I'm looking at picking up a pair in what the ad says excellent condition.There are no grills and it looks like the original foam surrounds are still there.Intact but I am sure will need a refoam.The guy wants $450 but will take $400.As much as would like to find a pair for $50 I don't think it is going to happen.I know there has been a sharp increase in vintage speakers but maybe CVs have not caught on as much.I mean look at what L100s and HPM100 are going for even the CS Pioneer 99s and I think I would prefer these over any of those(have or had have them).The D9s are CVs TOTL speaker and well regarded in CV circles.Any thoughts on the $400 price?
Have 2 sets of D9s. Got the first pair for 90 bucks out of a old lady's basement. Needed refoam and I rebuilt one of the pedestals. Second pair from Craig's list add for 150. Also needed refoam but that was it. They are brutal assaults on a sonic level. The eat power like skittles and sound amazing. There are better deals out there. Being a Craig's list junkie doesn't hurt. I have less than 400 in both my sets combined. Good luck with the hunt.

Have 2 sets of D9s. Got the first pair for 90 bucks out of a old lady's basement. Needed refoam and I rebuilt one of the pedestals. Second pair from Craig's list add for 150. Also needed refoam but that was it. They are brutal assaults on a sonic level. The eat power like skittles and sound amazing. There are better deals out there. Being a Craig's list junkie doesn't hurt. I have less than 400 in both my sets combined. Good luck with the hunt.
Thanks.I landed up getting two pair although the second needs some work but I dig the pair thats going.I paid $650 for the pair so they weren't the deals that happen but I didn't want to wait forever for a deal so I sprung.I ain't getting any younger.Sometimes I think "these are the speakers I've wanted all my life".I'm still in the process of getting them situated.

Last edited:
The deals are going away. D-9's are extremely rare in my area and either someone knows value and asks too much or they are dumped. :(
(had a craigslist in my area asking 550 for vs-150's in poor shape, no grille's, and covered in stickers, needing re-foam.) Insane!.
I've only seen 1 D-9 listing in the 100+ mile search and for too much.
I'm content with my VS-150's. Old age does have it's virtues! :)

I just picked up a pair for $175, the guy replaced the original woofers with the 15W5 that came out of the VS-150, turns out that woofer is a Cerwin Vega recommended replacement for the D-9. Anyone know Gibson now owns CV?View attachment 1232939

Did not know that was recommended replacement. Re foamed 1 pair now, 2 more sets in the future. Great price on D-9's!
Mine have VSW15 stamped on the back. Just FYI.
Thought China owned Cerwin now, does China own Gibson/using name? Just curious.

The VSW15's did come from the earliest VS-150 series. Serial #'s 06 and 07, so woofers may have changed.
I re-foamed the later series first since the foam was in worse shape, did not record model # of drivers.

Back
Top Bottom