Cerwin Vega fans: D9 vs AT-15s?

image.jpg

The Cerwin Vega European series AT-100

Nothing like anything sold in this country, clarity, definition of clearly sounding instrumentation. By using a Yamaha EQ-630 the party sound has been refined to accurately full but not overbearing. Sonics are great cause I’m pushing the speakers with a Pioneer VSX-D1S. I have found that the lower the THD of the equipment pushing the signal....the better sound from a Cerwin Vega speaker. The lower the THD, the more headroom you get for an increased full detailed sound. Allot of that harsh sound comes from higher THD levels....from the amp or receiver and an EQ if it’s in the signal path.

Why....because CW’s are probably the most revealing speakers ever built !!!

View attachment 1116406

The Cerwin Vega European series AT-100

Nothing like anything sold in this country, clarity, definition of clearly sounding instrumentation. By using a Yamaha EQ-630 the party sound has been refined to accurately full but not overbearing. Sonics are great cause I’m pushing the speakers with a Pioneer VSX-D1S. I have found that the lower the THD of the equipment pushing the signal....the better sound from a Cerwin Vega speaker. The lower the THD, the more headroom you get for an increased full detailed sound. Allot of that harsh sound comes from higher THD levels....from the amp or receiver and an EQ if it’s in the signal path.

Why....because CW’s are probably the most revealing speakers ever built !!!

I think I'm with you.I've been listening to a set of 317P CVs and I can hear that an adjustment to them will be a benefit.I'm waiting on some D9 and D5 and I can already hear that I want to use an EQ.I like CV sound but they can be unrefined.

D9 gets my vote. I've always liked the horn tweeter on the older CWs. Have an old pair of U123's that have that same horn tweeter and they have a really decent presence & sound. Vocals, depending on room set up, are very life like. AT's have always seemed a lot softer to me.

Sorry for necroposting. This is a great thread for reference purposes.

I used to work at a C-V dealer. I left before the AT series came out. I'm not as familiar with them so great info here.

CVs may not be everyone's cup of tea but depending on the speaker certainly have a place in the audio hifi cannon.For a more powerful sound these are on another level.DX9 and 317p pushed by a Yamaha RXZ9 is quite a treat for my applications.I make no apologies...none.

Last edited:
My vote goes to the VS-150's. I picked up an ugly ass pair of these last summer at a Flea Market about 30 minutes from where I live and all I have done so far is refoam the woofers. Someone painted the cabinets not once...but twice. Apparently there is a yellow base coat then a thick coat of black paint. I'm not going to attempt to strip these to find sub par vinyl not to mention the cabinets have some rough spots. I'm just going to rebuild new cabinets from 3/4" MDF and veneer them in real Walnut plus give better bracing inside. I'm also pondering on building the baffles where I can have them either front ported or rear ported for more flexibility on placement. I'll also mirror image them, too.

But that's beside the point. These speakers have amazed me at how much I like them and, in many respects, I prefer them to the Klipsch Belle clones that I built a couple years back. Obviously, they have wonderful bass but are very surprising in just how good they sound. My comparison in CV models is having owned a pair of Model 2000-15's, D-9's and AT-15's all between 10 and 15 years ago. The VS-150's sound spectacular on my updated and upgraded Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 (long name) which is rated at 460 wpc. These things love power....and clean power. I was also able to get the crossover diagram from Gibson, which was nice, and may just build a new set of crossovers versus using the original....still undecided.

Back
Top Bottom