Ch...ch...cha...changes!

Interesting. The Meijas column was not my favorite part of the magazine, but it will be interesting to see what replaces it.

Meijas never did anything for me in terms of writing style or substance. However, with him and his blog gone now, it does place a void in Stereophile's budget oriented monthly column which for what it was, was appreciated.

I must say I enjoyed his antagonism with the old 'philes but his articles or the gear he reviewed (esp cans) never really interested me much.

I have been so disgusted with Stereophile, I haven't "gone there" in years. I have to admit, I have been hopping around for over an hour and I am reconsidering my choice to leave Stereophile as a hard core reader. There is some good stuff out there and I had never been exposed to "The Entry Level" before. Much better writing and some of it was really a joy to dive into. I think getting younger people to write, those who don't obsess about the gear but focus on fidelity and the joy of music appeals to me. Honestly, I thought Tone was where I was going to live for a while but the writing has gotten a bit stale and I am getting tired of reading about all the new gear Jeff Dorgay got to try. He comes off as a bit of a spoiled brat. I can barely get through an article anymore. Me, me, me … please, I work hard and don’t have the time to waste.
I’m looking for something halfway between the old Stereophile and Tone Publications. Stereophile’s equipment reviews are still a bit on the snob side for me. They recently reviewed my Coffman preamplifier, I felt they missed the mark on their review. It has its short comings but they chose to pick it apart for no good reason. I also own the Dynaudio C1’s they loved so much and I didn’t agree with their review of that speaker either. Maybe I’m just messed up … both on line mags (Stereophile and Tone) could take a lesson from those of us that don’t have $25K to spend on a phono pre. Please, I mean how many people can even relate to having that kind of money to spend and of those people who would be guided by a mag review? I like the more down to earth articles and like so many, I like the nostalgic feeling that reading about vintage gear gives me. I guess that doesn’t sell advertising but it does keep me reading. There is a balance somewhere and maybe Stereophile has taken steps to take it down a notch. Focus on the positive a bit more – sure the hardcore reviews must remain critical but maybe segregate them so I don’t have to waste my time. Call me a hippie but I like to focus on the positive. I get great joy from reading, I guess that's why I spend so much time in the forums.

That's too bad, but good for Mejias. I liked his column, but thought it strayed too much towards the personal life at times. Sometimes, I thought his reviews were a little TOO entry-level, but that's okay.

For a dollar a month, I wouldn't complain about anything in the magazine.
'Might as well complain about a single green bean in a steak dinner from Ruth's Chris.

I just hope they don't follow the trend of making the layout look like a never-ending advertisement (a big picture and about 1/2 paragraph per page). THAT is annoying.

I enjoy reading a well-written written review, even if it gets too wordy at times.

Sad to see Mejias go. He was fun and irreverent and genuinely excited about developing his hobby. I'm 56 years old but enjoyed the ride with him - I actually own Diamond 10.1s and a VPI Traveler partly because of his enthusiasm. There needs to be more relevant voices like his in the audio world for it to grow. I wish him well.

His was always the first thing I read in Stereophile. I really enjoyed his writing style and how it blended daily life with the stuff under review. I didn't always prefer his choice of music or equipment, but I totally understood the circumstances around them. Living with another person and the compromises of space and time that goes along with it is something we can all relate to. I also love cats and enjoy throwing things together in a skillet while music us playing...it's rarely about the finest detail of fidelity. I'll miss his column and if by chance he reads this I'll say thanks for what you did and good luck in your new gig. (And buddy- up with David Solomon....he's a pretty good guy.)

Was he the guy that wrote about the girls in the other apartment, and also cats?
I'll miss him as he tended to review the more affordable end of the audio spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom