chalk, or tape outlines on the floor of murder victims in Movies, and TV

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It always makes me smile whenever I see a movie or TV crime scene where there is a chalk, or tape outline of a body, I wonder how many people know the history of this? Law enforcement don't and never have used anything like this. The outline is pure Hollywood and started in the 1930's. Penny pinching producers decided they where not going to pay anyone just to lay on the floor acting dead. They substituted the outline of the body on the floor.

The first time that I was in San Francisco (70's) I was walking in a very hilly neighborhood when I came across one of those body outlines on the sidewalk. It was at the base of a very long set of public steps; I could barely imagine tumbling down them to the sidewalk. About 2 blocks later I came across another, similar, outline. Apparently some artist/prankster came up with this idea. He/she sure got me.

Many years ago, a friend of mine owned a record store - which was carpeted in a dark colour. Decorators dropped a tin of white paint in the middle of the carpet, leaving a big puddle that would not come out. Instead of replacing the carpet, he painted a body outline, with the paint puddle emerging from the head. It looked so good, and appropriate, it was hard to believe it was the result of a disaster.

I noticed last night while watching Bosch on Amazon, that the wooden sign hanging in the Homicide Division office has a chalk/tape body outline on it. Wording on the sign is -
Hollywood Homicide
Our day starts when yours' ends...

The chalk outline of the body is to the right side of the sign.

Love Harry's stereo. McIntosh electronics, Ohm Walsh 2 (?) speakers, Marantz TT. Lots of glass walls in his house in the Hollywood hills.

I saw a chalkline at the scene of a motorcycle accident in Vietnam several years ago. I guess they haven't caught up to moden investigation standards.

Back
Top Bottom