Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

Here's a unique FULL system for under a thousand. Just add your own computer.

http://www.amazon.com/KEF-X300A-Digital-Speaker-System/dp/B00AXYKF30

kef-x300a-mac.jpg

Powered KEF x300a speakers w/ built in d/a converter. $799.

Thanks for setting me straight on this one - dang, I shouldn't have gotten rid of them then...:tears:

However, I remember it saying that the paint is like old ones with lead (I am sorry - not mercury) in it, and it said not to handle it.

So, please be careful anyways...

Lead paint won't hurt you unless you eat it or like to lick it.

cubdog

Speakers: Magnepan MMG: 599
Int Amp: Yamaha A-S300: 349.99
Source: Sony DVP-SR320: 39.99

Should have enough left over for some interconnects and speaker wire from Monoprice.

Great, but does the A-S300 have the current to drive the MMGs ? Just sayin.

That is the question of this system. If it does not have the current then the MMGs would probably have to be disqualified. That was the the one amp I could find to fit into the price range and criteria. I had to search around to find something I thought would come close. I had not seen anyone post the MMGs, so I thought I would give it a try.

That is the question of this system. If it does not have the current then the MMGs would probably have to be disqualified. That was the the one amp I could find to fit into the price range and criteria. I had to search around to find something I thought would come close. I had not seen anyone post the MMGs, so I thought I would give it a try.

You can get the A-S500 for around $295 as an open-box unit. At 85 WPC, would it stand a better chance of driving the MMGs?

he11fire, Magnepan give some guidelines on their website - basically, they suggest looking for an amp that 'doubles down' from 8 to 4-ohms - that would mean that the A-S500 has to reliably pump something > 160W into 4-ohms. Steve Holding from Australian Hi-Fi has some very encouraging feedback on exactly that in his analysis of the Newport Labs measurements for the A-S500:

http://www.livingsound.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Yamaha_A-S500_review.pdf

Steve doesnt tend to gild the lily, and it looks encouraging from those numbers. Ultimately, the only way to really find out would be to lug one into a Magnepan dealer - I look forward to your feedback on that experience :D

he11fire, Magnepan give some guidelines on their website - basically, they suggest looking for an amp that 'doubles down' from 8 to 4-ohms - that would mean that the A-S500 has to reliably pump something > 160W into 4-ohms. Steve Holding from Australian Hi-Fi has some very encouraging feedback on exactly that in his analysis of the Newport Labs measurements for the A-S500:

http://www.livingsound.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Yamaha_A-S500_review.pdf

Steve doesnt tend to gild the lily, and it looks encouraging from those numbers. Ultimately, the only way to really find out would be to lug one into a Magnepan dealer - I look forward to your feedback on that experience :D

Thanks for that, it was fun read. I love mine, even though I still read negative comments about it from time to time.

EDIT: By the way, no Maggie dealers in my immediate area, I'm sorry to say. If someone is willing to bring a pair to my house, I would have no problem hooking them up to my A-S500, however. :-D

Last edited:
???

I have a pair of BX5a's that I enjoyed for a long time before deciding to move my office music off my desk and to a dedicated stereo system for the office. The BX5a's coupled with a Yamaha 8" powered sub worked pretty well. So well that they are still stacked in the corner. I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

I did have to recap the BX5's though.

I would agree that at this budget, M-Audio stuff is not bad. I used to own a pair of CX5s. They sound better than the BX5s. I got them on sale when they were discontinued.

Another vote for the Diamond 10.1 speakers. I currently have them in my main system and they are embarrassing speakers in the $2500 range with their detail, balance and even handedness.
How do the Wharfedale speakers compare to the PSB Alpha B1? I would think the Alpha B1 would be just as nice of a speaker (plus a little cheaper too).

Fostex PM0.4 powered monitors - 250.00
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable - 400.00
Pro-Ject Phono Box S - 200
Pro-Ject Speedbox S - 130
Spiced Rum - 20.00

My choices assuming one has some type of broadband connection and wireless networking in the home (most do).

Amp: Yamaha A-S500 $350
Speakers: Monitor Audio MR-2s (or MA-2s if you can find them) $350, has best low end of any budget speaker IMO (42 Hz) and since they are front ported far more usable in most setups
SqueezeBox Touch $250

Oh wait :) ... can't buy a SB touch anymore new. What happened?

DAC + free Squeezeplay on the PC, or... low cost LCD TV with HDMI and optical out, Google Chromecast for $35 and you are set. Seriously.

$350 Wharfedale 10.1
$500 NAD D 3020

That leaves you a few bucks for stands, the best 16 gauge copper wire Radio Shack stocks, and a fifth of scotch from the strip mall liquor outlet.

(Caveat: I haven't heard the D 3020, it's super brand new, there are precious few reviews out.)

Best $1k System

topping tp60 amplifier
cambridge soundworks model six speakers
U-turn Audio orbit plus turntable
cambridge audio 551P phono preamp

(and you'll still have enough money leftover for a cd player or ipod dock/bridge and some cheap cables).

this system combo (should) sound better than it has any right to sound,
at under $1,000).

i'm new to AK,
but i am a long-time audio enthusiast.

i already have several "vintage" components & speakers,
but the $1k system i've chosen here,
will (soon) be my next "modern" setup.

Thanks a lot for this thread - I can't believe I never noticed it before! I am looking to modernize and streamline (note, I didn't say upgrade!) my setup, which is centered around a Kenwood KA-7100. The NAD 316BEE mentioned earlier in the thread piqued my interest...

Well, if I wanted to put together a $1,000 system via the internet but for some reason, I couldn't access MusicDirect or Accessories4Less, I'd probably go something like this:

$85 Panasonic DMP-BD87 Blu Ray player that plays FLAC files
$125 Dayton APA150 Power Amp w/volume
$550 PSB Image B6 Speakers
$32 Belden 10 speaker cable from BlueJeansCables (8 foot, biwire pair)
$35 BlueJeans LC1 IC (3 foot, with Techflex!)
$65 Dayton SSMB24 speaker stands
$10 Spike Cups
$5 Sand
$25 Three Vibra Pods

$17 for banana plugs from PartsExpress if that doesn't break the 'no DIY rule' other wise, I'll just use bare wire.

$922-$939 total. That leaves enough for a fancy power cable and maybe an upgraded wall plug.

Is it against the rules for me to ask if a system will suit me for under $1000?! I'm actually building one, and that's close to my budget. So please give suggestions for this. I want well rounded bass - but I'll be in an apartment, so I don't think I'll need a sub.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s - $350
Yamaha AS-300 Amp (Included Phono) - $330
U-Turn Plus w/ Grado Green - $300

Total $980

Back
Top Bottom