Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

I think that threads like this help, don't you Cub.

I'm not sure how many of the vintage guys hang out here Art. Frankly if someone is happy with an all vintage rig that fine by me. It's the attitude that vintage is better that I find amusing. As long as we can enjoy music, I find the means relatively unimportant.

cubdog

I'm not sure how many of the vintage guys hang out here Art. Frankly if someone is happy with an all vintage rig that fine by me. It's the attitude that vintage is better that I find amusing. As long as we can enjoy music, I find the means relatively unimportant.

cubdog

Even if a few guys visit and see that a nice newer setup is within reach then that is a good thing to me. Some folks love the vintage stuff and others feel that it's all they can afford and are quite frustrated at having to cobble together systems from what is presently functional.

What's funny Eric, is that we fans of modern gear know the choices for a sub $1000 system are almost limitless. Gear from the well known brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Polk, and Klipsch to others like Dalaudio, Schiit, Mordunt Short and PSB are available at rock bottom prices and very high quality. The headphone guys could really put together some outrageous systems for $1000. The peception remains among the die hard vintage guys that prices for modern audio gear puts it out of reach. How to change that I don't know and I'm sorry to say I really don't care anymore.

cubdog

It's a start. We have to keep our part of the hobby open to everyone.

From what I have seen , it looks like the speakers will be the most challenging aspect . And no , I have not heard any of the speakers , but from the specs , they look like they might be lacking in bass . $1000 might be too restricting .

In a small to medium room the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 has plenty of bass for many folks including me. They bottom out right where my primary speakers do at 3.5 times the price (Dynaudio X12's).

From what I have seen , it looks like the speakers will be the most challenging aspect . And no , I have not heard any of the speakers , but from the specs , they look like they might be lacking in bass . $1000 might be too restricting .

Not unless you're in a large room, IMO.

Some people have failed to include cables in their list, btw.

Great point ! I was thinking large room because that is what I am filling .

Well that makes sense. :)

Hmm - anyone know if there are any great budget floor-standers currently available in the ~$500 range? The only ones I've heard are my girlfriend's father's JBLs, which he said were about $300 new I think. They have bass, but no midrange. :D This is what zebra03 is talking about when he says the budget is too restrictive for a large room, perhaps. :scratch2:

Look , I don't want to hi-jack this thread or ruffle feathers , just curious . If it were me , Maybe spend a little less on an amp and find more efficient speakers with a little more bass .

Look , I don't want to hi-jack this thread or ruffle feathers , just curious . If it were me , Maybe spend a little less on an amp and find more efficient speakers with a little more bass .

We await your 1K setup.

I looked at the Klipsch speakers , but could not find anything with better bass response compared to the Polks that were suggested .

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with bringing up the issue here, it makes sense. After a little thought it occurred to me that my Paradigm Mini Monitors produce a hell of a lot of bass for their size, and they (v.6) are available new for about $440 right now. However, they might not go quite low enough for some tastes.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with bringing up the issue here, it makes sense. After a little thought it occurred to me that my Paradigm Mini Monitors produce a hell of a lot of bass for their size, and they (v.6) are available new for about $440 right now. However, they might not go quite low enough for some tastes.

Quad 11L Classic $449 48hz +/-3db.

I think the Quad will give you just about as much bass as you could hope for in a sub $500 stand mount.

For those who must have more bass, one could always add an inexpensive sub such as the Hsu STF2 at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom