Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

Because I have heard of kit stuff as being only for those with the skills or inclination to build it. 99% of all the gear discussed here has been new and ready to use in a box. I'm just trying to show what is available in the market today.

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering: what is the equivalent of the Hafler DH-200 power amp kits I bought in 1981 for $300 each? Not sure.

Cheers,

Otto

I'm having a very difficult time assembling what I would believe to be a quality setup with NEW gear and keeping it under $1000. So far I keep landing on:

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 - $399
-or-
Quad 11L Classic Standmount - $449
+
NAD - C-326BEE - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - $549

But then I have nothing left to purchase a source component costing more than a box of saltine crackers. Hmmm...

Alright, usually I go with active speakers for these games, but how about this one? Pics clickable.

The goal here is a $1000 modern system with some
christmas-balls1.jpg

HSU "Value 1" 2.1 speaker package, $549 :

NAD C 316BEE, $279:

Schiit Modi USB DAC, $99:

Still got $73 left, want a CDP or something? Sony and Phillips always have a DVD/multi player or two in the $40-$80 range with surprisingly decent audio quality. Yamaha also, sometimes.

Last edited:
Alright, usually I go with active speakers for these games, but how about this one? Pics clickable.

HSU "Value 1" 2.1 speaker package, $549 :

NAD C 316BEE, $279:

Still got $73 left, want a CDP or something? Sony and Phillips always have a DVD/multi player or two in the $40-$80 range with surprisingly decent audio quality. Yamaha also, sometimes.

I really like this option, especially with the speakers. HSU makes some nice subs. That should provide some decent bass and excellent standmount imaging characteristics.

Look , I don't want to hi-jack this thread or ruffle feathers , just curious . If it were me , Maybe spend a little less on an amp and find more efficient speakers with a little more bass .

Just curious myself, but what speakers do you run in your main system?

[

I kind of dig the industrial look of the Schiit dac (the Phillips head screw holding it together).

BTW, I am a monitor or mini-monitor kind of guy myself. So a lack of deep bass is something I can deal with.

I'm what you could call a vintage guy- AND I'm not in the market for a new system, but this is a great thread for those of us that are into vintage but are flummoxed when queried by friends/family looking for a good sounding system with real world price constraints. I'm the last one to recommend a vintage system needing any kind of regular maintenance to people that just want instant music .Now I'll have some idea what to tell them! So Thanks!

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the little Lepai LP-2020A+, for all of $23.

Pair it up with some NHT Superzeros and you'll still have lots left over for a really nice CD player and some interconnects/cables.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the little Lepai LP-2020A+, for all of $23.

Pair it up with some NHT Superzeros and you'll still have lots left over for a really nice CD player and some interconnects/cables.

Someone just did! :)

Back
Top Bottom