Chance at a pair of L112s?

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by S S, Jun 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. S S

S S New Member

I have an acquaintance that has a pair of matched JBL L112s in very nice condition. 9 of 10 cabinet with all original drivers and speaker grills. The only issue is both of the woofer surrounds are shot. He and his wife have some serious health issues and he wants to sell them. He wants $1,000 for them.

So I have some very nice L-100s that I really like and from what I read the L112s are even better. Is $1000 a crazy price for L112s that need surrounds. He's not really looking to budge price wise.

I'm pretty new getting back to vintage stereo equipment. I have an Onkyo TX-4500 (which may not be enough to properly drive the L112s but I can upgrade with a power amp sometime later.

Advise from JBL folks appreciated. Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jelly_bean

jelly_bean AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like the L112s I heard a while back.

Not sure where you’re at, but locally (central valley CA) there’s a pair of L112s for $800. And they’re in great shape. The drivers have new foam and cabinets look very nice — at least that’s what the pictures show.

Not sure if it helps, but the price is a bit more than I would pay.

S S likes this.
  3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

For that price you would never be able to say that you got a bargain, that is for sure :) With that said, that price is probably "fair". If you won't buy them for that price, there is probably someone else out there who will, so there really is no reason for him to come down on the price. The supply of vintage JBLs out there, especially in good condition, is only going down over time. If you have patience and/or are willing to potentially restore a pair that is in worse condition, there are much better bargains to be found out there. It's really a judgment call on your part, about how much you want them, and if you want them now.

The 128H woofer in the L112 will blow away the woofer in the L100, and the 044 tweeter in the L112 is nice in that it is better than the older paper-cone tweeter found in the L100 while also being very easy to listen to for long sessions. A very nice speaker over all.

S S likes this.
  4. qguy

qguy Super Member

Not a score

but if you have been hunting for an L112 for a long time, then price is reasonable at this point. Plus, you will sleep better at night knowing you helped an acquaintance

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

If you have a clean pair L100s with grilles, they're worth at least as much as L112s, so it's an even, or profitable, trade if you decide to get the L112s.

S S likes this.
  6. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's what I paid for mine brand-new about 36-years ago. Not sure I'd let them go for that, if that helps.

S S likes this.

7. S S

S S New Member

Thanks all for the feedback. I just couldn’t see spending $1k after giving it some thought. He now offered them to me for $750. Not a steal but good fair price. I told him I’ll take them. I’ll have to fix the surrounds and see how they sound.

SS

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  8. spark1

spark1 Super Member

That's a fair price....not a bargain, but fair. I obtained a pair earlier this year, and sure do like them. Quite a bit different than the L100 and its siblings. Surprised to see the post above suggesting that L100s have more value than L112s. I briefly owned a set of L100s a few years back. Not my cup of tea. The L112s, at least to me, are dramatically better...flatter, smoother, excellent dynamics and punch and non-fatiguing.

I would enjoy hearing (reading) your conclusions about them vs the L100s once you get the surrounds replaced.

9. jeanmarie

jeanmarie AK Subscriber Subscriber

Grab em! I restored a pair last winter and man what a set of speakers! You will love them.

S S likes this.
  10. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

Really there are a lot of JBLs out there that are much better speakers than the L100s yet don't have nearly as much resale value. L100s are very well known vintage speakers. They are like the late 60's Mustang or Camaro of the speaker world. People who don't care about how they sound go after them just to have them as a status symbol, and right now they are very popular even among the same younger generation that buys a new $1000 iPhone every year, which is why the value of the L100 has skyrocketed. Even the value of the L112 has gone up quite a bit just due to how similar looking they are to the L100. The real bargains are speakers such as the JBL L5 or L7 as they are still off the radar of many collectors, and are typically undervalued relative to their performance IMO.

Zonker92 likes this.
  11. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Agree. And as a matter of historical trivia, JBL called the L112 the "Century II." (Note the white woofers and driver placement.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    S S likes this.

12. S S

S S New Member

I must have poor audio taste as it goes. I recall back in the 80s 2 of my friends had L100s and I just loved them. Every once in a while they would say they were thinking of selling and I'd casually mention "let me know" hoping they would but they always changed their minds. I also had friends with L26 and L36s which I loved too. I'll never forget listening to Fleetwood Mac around my friends parents awesome built in Kidney shaped pool. None ever wanted to sell and I couldn't afford new. So I finally found a pair of excellent L100s and have been loving them ever since. I used to play bass and with these L100s it sounds Like my P-bass is kicking out the punchy bass tight lines just like standing in front of my amp on stage. So if the L112s are better in terms of low end and a better tweet and mid section balance I'll be in heaven.

I also have another JBL project going. I'm picking up an empty L36 box and I have some old Bolivar 3 ways (JBL components and sound like L36s but not exact). I'm going to refinish the cabinets (some light stains in the veneer on one top) I'll repaint the baffles and rear panel install the Bolivar drivers and crossover and re-cloth the grills. That'll keep me busy but should be fun seeing what some others have done with L36 cabs. But first I'll need to re-do the surrounds on the 112s after bringing home tomorrow or Sunday. I'll be sure to post back on the L100 / L112 comparison.

Thanks all for the inputs

13. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Just because I prefer the 112s doesn't mean that you will. And liking the 100s doesn't mean you have poor audio tastes. We all have our own preferences, and often they are actively evolving and changing. If you like that more aggressive stage speaker sound, you may well prefer the 100 over the 112. In any case, good luck with them, and do report back after comparing the two. Looking forward to your conclusions.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  14. S S

S S New Member

I do like the rock kicking L100 personality and don’t get fatigued listening to classic rock for hours. But I usually listen at some pretty civil volume cranking it here and there when the right songs come on. When I bought the L100s I briefly got to a b them with 112s at the POs house. They did sound good but I was too focused on the L100s to recall the differences.
    I’m ok with different. For a while at least they’ll park next to the L100s. Don’t worry I hold no one responsible and I’m pretty sure I’ll like them a lot based on many reviews I’ve read.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  15. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

I was lucky enough to buy 2 pair for cheap . Visually stunning but needing refoamed . They have led me down the JBL rabbit hole .

16. S S

S S New Member

OK, So I bought the L112s for 750 knowing they needed some work with surrounds and after looking them over one woofer coil was definitely bad. I did some research locally and on the web and found some folks capable of "reconing" the 128Hs. Some said no way to use original cone, very risky. I finally ended up going with Spiral Reconing out of Berkly MI (check out on FB). He advised either he could replace the cone with another similar black and color white, or re-use the original cone. I opted to keep the original cone. He came highly recommended with experience keeping JBLs original and reconing may other ancient speakers. It seemed if anyone could do it he could from reviews and postings on FG. He also advised doing both which I was on board with since if one coil was bad, how close was the other even though it moved seemingly free. Only one other reconer out of FLA said they could reuse the orginal cones. So I sent both 128Hs out for reconing including surrounds. Both are done now and have come back and I installed this week. They look great with the original cones and black gluing, and movement is super smooth with no contact. 112s.JPG

With my Onkyo TX-4500 I auditioned the L-100s and L112s. To tell you the truth the L112s were pretty close but had the edge of the clean clear high end over the L100 paper tweeters. The woofers of the L112s sounded slightly cleaner and tighter. Overall the L112s are smoother/better balanced I would attribute that likely to the superior crossover of the 112. So far slight edge 112s. I like both of them a lot through the TX-4500 for most of the Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac style music I listen to.

So also in the works was a purchase of a Onkyo Integra dual block 504 Power Amp which I got today. Wow, that really opens up the 112s. I'm using the pre-amp of the TX-4500 and that does a great job putting the signal to the 504. Super clean super clear and very nice low end. Not quite tube amping but very warm sound from a SS Amp. Somehow with the clean power of the 504 (165W RMS X2 504 versus 55W RMS TX-4500) it really separates the L-100s and L112s. The L-100s sound OK, but WOW the 112s really shine. As I turn it up it gets even better and the 112s shine even more. This I guess is to be expected with the much higher power limits of the 112s. Confirmed! And as I'm listening to the 112s the low end seems to be really opening up. I think there is some break in going on with the new spiders and surrounds.

So for now I'm very happy with the 112s being driven by the preamp section of the TX-4500 and powered by the Integra 504. Now to find some nice speaker stands (18") for the L112s.

Thanks for all the inputs, I'm very happy with the L-112s. They are nice and clean and in very nice shape as well as fully functioning now with the woofers reconed and new surrounds. Should be good for another 100 thousand miles..........Time for a rack and Shelving too........

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Infinitoid and Zonker92 like this.