Chance to buy a Sony TC-WR99ES Cassette Deck?

Ramseybella

AK Member
I have a chance to buy a Sony TC-99ES deck for $100.00 working no remote ran a heavy handed 100 Maxell tape through it and had no drag FF and reverse as well as play on both sides.
Does this sound like a good deal as I do play Cassettes.

It's a pretty decent deck for that price, just keep in mind that it has 2x as many moving parts so keeping it running can be more work. Two belt kits, two transports to rebuild, etc.

John

Well I got the deck for $80.00 but we have a problem.
I took it home and Deck A plays as as it should both sides but Deck B on the other hand side A of the tape plays super fast like it plays in fast forward but when you flip the head to side B of the tape it plays fine.
I noticed the speed control for Deck B does nothing but it works on Deck A..
I can return it and get my $80.00 back within five days but then they will set it out front in the free pile as not working.
I am thinking of asking them to sell it to me for $10.00 and just use it to play tapes, it does sound nice as a matter of fact but think it's recording days are over.
Any thought on what it could be, sounds electrical to me.

Check the right hand capstan of deck B, make sure it doesn't have a bunch of tape wrapped around it.

John

Well I took it back got my refund and just to make everyone happy I bought it back for $10.00.:naughty:
I don't see any tape on the capstan but I intend to open her up and take a look inside when I get the chance..
I thought I made out good, I probably could have just got it for free if I did a little more talking but I visit this place from time to time so I figured it's a good way to make good relations.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Better than well!!:jump:
I fixed the issue the capstan roller arm was forward from center of the tape.
I played with it with a tape in it and door off and noticed the roller arm lifting the roller to the capstan shaft but was hanging up on the front edge of the tape housing.
I simply took a small screw driver and pushed the roller arm back and We have lift off!!:banana:
I think it may have gotten jarred during transport.
In short it couldn't pinch the tape between the roller and capstan shaft so it was just lightly dancing over the head with no tension and being pulled along by the drive motor making it sound like it was playing the tape in fast forward.
Others that have noticed my issue may also want to check in on this...:beerchug:
Confirming what others have stated that the newer ES Sony decks are not of those of old.
Thin chaises Mucho plastic such as the capstan roller arm itself but has a brass bushing.

Never the less she sounds smooth as butter with a bit of salt added.

SON1.jpg SON2.jpg SON.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom