Fedesioux

Hi! How are you all?

I have a Technics SL D2 with a SHURE M70B cartridge. It sounds ok but it has a lot IGD and sometimes I think the voices are too low, like buried in the music. It has happened me before with the same cartridge and a Technics SL 20 I had.

I was thinking in buying an Ortofon 2M RED, is it a good option for this turntable?

Also, I was thinking in buying a new REGA PLANAR 1 or a PROJECT III DEBUT, are they better machines than my TECHNICS Semiautomatic SL D2?

Thanks!

Hi! How are you all?

I have a Technics SL D2 with a SHURE M70B cartridge. It sounds ok but it has a lot IGD and sometimes I think the voices are too low, like buried in the music. It has happened me before with the same cartridge and a Technics SL 20 I had.

I was thinking in buying an Ortofon 2M RED, is it a good option for this turntable?

Also, I was thinking in buying a new REGA PLANAR 1 or a PROJECT III DEBUT, are they better machines than my TECHNICS Semiautomatic SL D2?

Thanks!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

There are some very good after market stylus that may help with the IGD problem.

Try using the HE - hyper elliptical stylus on the Shure cartridge, example:
https://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHN075HET2LP

Be sure to align the cartridge properly too. :thumbsup:

Those turntables are a few steps below the SL-D2 in performance. Keep the turntable you have if those are the other options and either get a nice stylus for your M70, or a new cartridge. The stylus already suggested should improve the sound a great deal. You did not state a budget. There are not too many good reviews of the Ortofon Red. Most suggest moving up to the Blue in the Ortofon 2m range to get acceptable performance. The Audio Technica AT-120eb is a nice option if you want a new cartridge for far less than the Ortofon.

Sounds like it's time for a new stylus. I would check Jico for options that fit that cartridge.

If you like a nasty, sibilant sounding cartridge, sure. If not, stay away.

I don't know what condition your SL-D2 is in or how well it is operating, but I would venture to say "no".

The AT-120eb is the equivalent of the VM530 (.3 x .7 nude diamond). LPGear has them for a discount while they last.

Yeah, for some reason I thought 120eb was a bonded stylus. The previous 120E was definitely a nude stylus. I guess they both are. 100E was a bonded elliptical.

How did you align the cartridge? You should use the Technics gauge for a Stevenson alignment if the goal is reduced IGD...

The M70B has a conical stylus if it is the original. This is probably the reason for the IGD. A better stylus profile, such as an elliptical or hyperelliptical will take are of the IGD (assuming correct alignment). Not sure about the vocals background issue. It may take a brighter sounding cartridge to bring this out. Something like the AT 120 has a brighter presentation than the Shures most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom