Changing faceplate lamps in my MC2205

Cleve

Well, one of the lamps has burnt out in my 2205 - one of the green "channel" indicators on the right side of the faceplate. This doesn't surprise me since I've run this baby about 12 hours a day since mid July :yes: However, it is annoying, as I want my Mac stuff to be perfect.

Alright, so is this a DIY job or should I take it down to Audio Classics? I did once successfully assemble a Dynaco FM-5 from a kit, so I've reasonable, though rusty skills with a soldering iron.

I have neither an owner's manual nor a service manual for the amplifier. Is one mandatory before attempting repairs? Are all the lamps in the faceplate the same? Would it make sense to replace all the lamps while I've got the thing open? And how many hours will new lamps typically provide?

I know I'm full of questions (and something else too, I've been told! lol) But I appreciate the help taking care of my vintage honey. :)

Changing lamps is usually a pretty simple job. If you done some level of electronics work previously and are reasonably "handy" with tools, it's no biggy !

May end up taking the faceplate off, knobs, top cover plate, etc, to get to the lamps. But you'll probably be able to see what's necessary by taking the top cover off.

Take off the dust cover that is behind the front panel, lamp is mounted (soldered) to a small circuit board that is held in place with 2 nuts, unsolder lamp and replace with a #7382 lamp, may as well do both. If you unplug the cable going to the power supply PC board be very carefull with it as it is a fragile laminated type cable with small pins.

I have a half dozen or so of the 7382 gold bi-pin lamps lying around, let me know if you need a pair, Dave.
:D

Back
Top Bottom