Changing it up a bit on the bicycle - a "gravel" bike

Dingman

Do you know where your towel is?
Subscriber
You guys might have seen the bike I purchased a little over a year ago. I put a couple thousand miles on it (before I broke my wrist\hand!) and I still have it. It's a great bike, fairly fast with a soft-ish ride. But it is a go-fast bike with a carbon frame, meaning not well suited for traveling via rack, gravel, grocery store trips, things like that.

So, I hopefully fixed that situation with a new GT Grade. This is built around the "gravel" setup that has been getting more popular in the last 5 years or so. Google bicycle gravel rides, and you'll see what I mean, I live in Iowa and they are getting more and more common around here (both the bikes and the rides). It's kind of a less aggressive cyclocross. Not to be confused with a cross-bike.

The GT Grade that I purchased is the low-end one, the "Alloy X". I didn't want another carbon frame, and the stock weight even with lower end parts is still pretty good at just under 22 lbs. And I plan on swapping out a few parts right away, I bet I can get it down around 20lbs before I start adding weight with accessories. I do admit to being a "weight weenie", I'm a smallish, skinny guy and I want my bikes to be skinny too. :)GT_Grade01 copy.jpg
I'm not positive that I'll like it - The geometer is different, more like a mtn bike (I rode mtn bike in Moab, Colo, Mass) in that the front end is more twitchy than a road bike. Bottom bracket is at least an inch lower, no front derailleur, only one ring! 700C wheels with 33mm tires - bike can take up to 38mm. Hydraulic disks so the darn thing will actually stop in the rain - something that rims brakes just won't do.
I'm hoping I won't regret the lower end components.
I still have some mods to do before I really get to riding it (and I still have my go-fast bike too!). I'll be changing the handlebar stem (too long for me), rear rack & bad, and some fenders.
Not sure about the seat, I've gotten to used to those ergonomic seats (hole in the middle), I'll probably have to change that too.
GT_Grade02.jpg

Looks like a nice ride to me. Those gravel grinders are really popular here in ND. I just cruise gravel on my slacked out, 2.4" wide tires trail bike.

The ergonomic seats with the hole or groove in the middle are the way to go. The 1x drivetrain setup is cool, got enough miles yet to know how you like it?

Nice - good all around compromise - love single chain wheel in front :)

I'd opt for dual air fork with axle in front of lower legs as a compromise between the fork you have and the road fork you're used to :)

Back
Top Bottom