Changing out Carbon Resistors

SilverDove

Can any one here on the groups tell me if I were to replace all of the cheap carbon film resistors in my phono section, pre amp and power section of my Pioneer SX receivers to 1% 1/4 watt metal and oxide film resistors all along the audio path if I will hear a new differents? And to replace all of the old stock caps to BlackGate and Panasonic capacitor? Any comments?
Thanks guys.....
SilverDove

Changing resistors and capacitors

SilverDove,

Changing the resistors and capacitors may make an audible difference in the sound of your SX series receivers. Whether or not you will hear a difference will depend on a number of factors. First, if an existing component has drifted off value, failed, or become leaky (capacitor) new components could fix a problem that may not be obvious. i.e. The unit still plays but is not quite right. Second, how keen your hearing is and how sensitive you are to small changes in sound quality will determine if you hear the differences. Some AudioKarma members seem to be much more sensitive to changing components within a unit than do others.

I recently replaced all the electrolytic capacitors in the signal path and power supply of my H H Scott Stereomaster 342 (circa 1969). In addition, I replaced with modified value closely matched components the equalization resistors and capacitors in the RIAA section. This improved the accuracy and channel balance and in that critical signal path. In the process of changing the coupling capacitors in the tone control and amplifier section, I doubled all the capacitance values. This added an octave to the low frequency bandwidth of the amplifier. I found that these changes to be worthwhile and I am now enjoying the 342 more than ever.

Since there are a lot of components in a Pioneer SX series receiver, I would recommend the following procedure. First, replace the components in the phonograph section. Since this section adds gain and noise not found in the other inputs it will be most sensitive to any changes you make. Second, listen to the results. If you do not hear improvements stop right there and save yourself a lot of trouble. If you do hear worthwhile improvements then proceed to the preamp section, replace and listen again.

BlackGate or Panasonic capacitors? I would try both listening carefully to see if I could hear the difference. If I could hear the difference and felt that it was significant enough then I would spend the extra money for the BlackGates. If I could not hear significant differences then why pay more? Your ears will tell you if these changes are worthwhile. Good luck and good listening.

tcdriver

Last edited:
Since you are talking about recapping SS and don't need high voltage electrolitics be aware that Nichicon has added audiophile grade electrolitics to their line. The price point should be below Black Gate and the quality high. Worth checking out.

Great....! Thanks Thatch_Ear!! Do you have a website I can find these caps?
SilverDove

Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
Since you are talking about recapping SS and don't need high voltage electrolitics be aware that Nichicon has added audiophile grade electrolitics to their line. The price point should be below Black Gate and the quality high. Worth checking out.

No, but here is a great search engine <www.ixquick.com>. You would probably need to get the info on the caps on the Nichicon web site, get your part number and order them from Allied or some such. I think they have gold terminals and lots of things to make them better but believe the voltages only go up to 100V. That being the case they are only good for me to put on cathodes and I just haven't tried any yet.
If you turn up some good info please share it. My old puter died with all my links etc on it so I am kind of rebuilding my folders.

Re: Changing resistors and capacitors

Hey tcdriver, did you get the PM I sent you?
SilverDove

< snip >
onents could fix a problem that may not be obvious. i.e. The unit still plays but is not quite right. Second, how keen your hearing is and how sensitive you a

BlackGate or Panasonic capacitors? I would try both listening carefully to see if I could hear the difference. If I could hear the difference and felt that it was significant enough then I would spend the extra money for the BlackGates. If I could not hear significant differences then why pay more? Your ears will tell you if these changes are worthwhile. Good luck and good listening.

tcdriver [/B][/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom