Chario Hiper sub woofer wiring

Rocky101

please assist,

I have recently to a much larger location I have two Vintage Chario Hiper sub woofers. I have only ever used one in my system, now I wish to connect both together in a safe way for both the speakers and the amp. the Speakers individually are a push pull config The following specs are identical for each

one 250 mm paper subwoofer LEFT (shielded)

one 250 mm paper subwoofer RIGHT (shielded)

each unit double-voice coil / long-throw type

92 dB SPL 2.83 V / 1m

35/120 Hz @ -3db

flat top 4th order

150 Hz (HIPER BASS + HIPER 1000)

4 Ohm

rated for 50-120 W / 8 Ohm

440x580x470

35 Kg

On the rear of each speaker are eight terminals 4 per channer (2 x R in & 2 marked R sat out)

(2 x R in & 2 marked R sat out)

I would be grateful if someone can inform the correct wiring for the two speakers together, I want to use the two channel output from an Arcam 8 amp to drive them which has a low end impedence range of 4 ohm per channel...... No response from Chario they don't appear interested in thier legacy products and nothing about Hiper Sub on The web, it is strange as they were expensive when bought......Waiting desperately

Hmm, this is a tough one. This subwoofer is signed to connect to an amp on one side and a single set of satellites on the other. But since these are passive, you have no level adjustment at all, which means (I suspect) that the bass will be overwhelming compared with the higher frequencies. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by using two subwoofers?

I'd expect the normal setup is one sub, fed by left and right from the amp, then a pair of matching Hiper 1000 satellite/speakers connected to the left and right high pass outputs from the sub.

To use both, you'd probably parallel the inputs on each sub, then feed one sub from left channel and the other sub from right channel.

Then, if you were going to use the high pass to smaller speakers, you'd use either the left or right output from the sub to the mid/high speaker for that channel and repeat on the other sub/other channel.

The caveats here are -

If your amp can handle the paralleled dual voice coils (single or series is an option too).

Sensitivity of the subs vs. the speakers you are using. With one sub and the matching satellites that's a paired system so no problem. However, if you are mixing/matching subs and speakers, using two subs, etc., then to swechsler's point mismatched sensitivity could prove problematic to system balance.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys I will elaborate... I do not wish to use the satellite connections, I have not done so in the past using only the one sub, I kept this as an entirely separate system fed in parallel from a Crown PSL 2 pre amp also going to a Crown Amcron LX 600 Microtech to two Vintage Polk LS 90 floor standers my thoughts were that the one sub would be insufficient the room is 55 ss mtre sorry for the confusion

Since the Micro Tech is rated for 2 ohms, paralleling the inputs of each sub and connecting one sub to each channel, in parallel with the mains is likely OK from an amplifier loading perspective.

However, you still have no real control of the balance between the subwoofers and the main speakers in case of sensitivity differences.

I think a second amp of same/similar power to the Micro Tech and having level controls would be the way to go. That way I think you could more effectively balance out the system. One amp for the subs, another amp for the speakers.

Hi Whoaru99
just to clarify, I do want to use both subs with a separate amp, specifically the an arcam 8 amp as I said this amp has a low end impedence range of 4 ohm per channelI, ( I did this before with only one sub,) my main speakers are already taken care of with the Micro tech no problem.... does this help

I can't find much on the Arcam 8. Not clear if you have an Arcam 8 integrated amp(?) or 8P power amp(?). But, in either case it appears to be a fair bit less powerful amp than the Crown so not sure that using it on the subs would allow full capability of the system...if you like to crank it up.

Hi Whoaru99
Thanks for your Time and suggestions I appreciate it, by the way its an Arcam 8 integrated
Regards

Back
Top Bottom